Two arrested in raid on ZBT house

TANYA THOMPSON // Hurricane Staff

TANYA THOMPSON // Hurricane Staff

The Zeta Beta Tau fraternity house was raided on Thursday night, the result of an ongoing investigation related to the sale of illegal drugs.

According to NBC6.com, two fraternity members were arrested in the raid. The names of the members arrested have not yet been disclosed.

“The University of Miami is cooperating with Coral Gables Police on this ongoing investigation, and has been in touch with the national organization of ZBT. The University has zero tolerance with regard to illegal drugs on campus,” said Pat Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs at the University of Miami, in a statement.

The UM-ZBT charter has been temporarily suspended by the national fraternity, according to Shawn Kacker, the Interfraternity Council (IFC) president.

Currently, IFC, ZBT’s national fraternity, and the university are holding investigations.

Possible consequences include ZBT having their charter revoked by UM or a member review, according to Kacker. A member review is when the national fraternity sends down representatives and conducts an interview process with the members of ZBT. They then decide who they want to continue being members of their organization.

Kacker was at the South-East Interfraternity Council Conference in Atlanta over the weekend and therefore his investigation is still at the beginning stages.

Dean Tony Lake, the associate dean of students and director of Judicial Affairs, and Dean Michelle M. Castro, the assistant dean of students and coordinator of Greek Affairs, were also at this conference.

In Nov. 2007, ZBT expelled three of its members after they were accused of assaulting a UM student in a drug-related argument.

Kacker said this case would be taken as a separate issue by the IFC and by UM, but could not speak for the national fraternity.

Attempts to reach ZBT for comment at their house were unsuccessful.

Stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com as this story develops.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...