UM to host Miami Poverty Conference

The University of Miami will host the Miami Poverty Conference (MPC) this Saturday, a brand-new program that aims to educate students in the Miami-Dade area about the growing issue of poverty in their community.

Last year, UM hosted the East Coast Poverty Conference. Students from Atlantic Coast Conference universities came to UM and spoke about poverty issues in their region.

UM students expressed an immense interest in the subject and decided to begin their own conference, centered around poverty issues affecting Miami.

“Miami is the poorest city of its size,” said Daniella Suarez, a student majoring in Latin American Studies and member of the executive board for the conference.  “We don’t really see how poverty is affecting us here at UM. Coral Gables is a bubble.”

Suarez pointed at the case of first-year students who cannot have cars on campus,  limiting their mobility and access to what is going on in the inner city of Miami.

Many experts will speak at the conference about the various aspects of poverty – from the effects of immigration to the political economy to education.

The keynote speaker is Judge Steve Leifman, head of Miami-Dade’s 11th Judicial Circuit Criminal Mental Health Project.

At the conference, students will be grouped together and attend interactive workshops to discuss these issues and brainstorm ideas of how to better the community.

According to Suarez, the conference will include a “hunger banquet,” which will allow participants to be placed in a socioeconomic class.  Suarez said that this interactive game will really put things into perspective.

The MPC will include a “Now What?” workshop towards the end of the day, where participants will discuss what to do now that they have been properly informed.

“I think it is beneficial for us, as students, to be able to not only learn and be educated about the issues in our community, but to also work together to apply what we’ve learned,” said Caitlin de Cristo, a UM sophomore who is planning on attending the conference.

The conference will end with a benefit concert, featuring Jahfe, a reggae band whose songs deal with social issues, including poverty, and UM’s own band, Beckham County Trainwreck.

The goal of the conference is to educate the students about this dire issue and to encourage students to do what they can to help lessen poverty.

“We have a very diverse group of students,” Suarez said.  “People are coming who are just interested in learning, which is cool to see on such a service-based campus.”

To register for the Miami Poverty Conference, visit: www.miami.edu/leadandserve

Samantha Hickey

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...