Sports Briefs

GOLF

The University of Miami golf team finished eighth at the Qdoba Invitational at Don Shula’s Golf Resort in Miami Lakes, Fla., on Tuesday.

Sophomore Maria Ronderos shot an even-par 72 in the final round, one of the lowest in the tournament, to tie for 16th. Her three-round total was 72, a season-low. Fellow sophomore Christina Hirano posted the second-best Hurricane score with a five-over par 77 and a total of 230 for 22nd.

Georgia State took the team title with a 27-over par 891, while the Canes finished with a 67-over par 931.

Miami heads to the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Classic in South Carolina this weekend.

FOOTBALL

Senior center Xavier Shannon, freshman defensive back Brandon Harris and freshman receiver Laron Byrd were named to 2008 All-ACC Academic football team.

Shannon was one of only two players to start every game this past season, while Harris finished with 30 tackles and an interception. Byrd caught 21 passes for 288 yards and four touchdowns, including the game-tying TD against Virginia.

To be eligible for consideration, a player must have earned a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.0 cumulative average during his academic career.

TRACK/FIELD

For the third time this season, senior Murielle Ahoure received the honor of ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Week, this time for her performance at the Texas A&M Invitational this past weekend.

Ahoure holds the world’s fastest time in the 60-meter dash at 7.17 seconds after breaking Lauyrn Williams’ record. In the 200-meter event, she won with a time of 23.14, which is also the fastest time in the world. She has won all five of her individual sprints this season.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...