SG presidency already ‘one’: unique situation leaves Moise running unopposed

This year’s Student Government presidential race may be over before it even begins.

This election year, no longer will students walking through the UC Breezeway be bombarded by numerous political campaigners running for SG president, vice-president and treasurer. This year there will only be one political team handing out flyers and preaching to get your vote.

Junior Lionel Moise is running for president of Student Government unopposed. For the first time in at least a decade, a candidate will run for the most prestigious seat in office without any competition.

“It’s the first time in a long time, and I know the first time in the 12 years I have been here,” said Patricia A. Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs.

“I still have to get 50 percent of the vote in order to win,” Moise said. “Students can always write in any candidate they want. What is most important for me, no matter what, is to have the respect and support of the students here at Miami.”

Current student body president Brandon Gross, a senior, is confused as to why more people are not willing to take the reins to this university.

“I’m disappointed,” said Gross, who won in a runoff last year. “Not in [Moise], but we were able to get a lot of things done this year. You would think more people would see that and step up…Competition is always good. It forces you to keep your word and keep fighting.”

Moise still plans on campaigning before the election.