SG presidency already ‘one’: unique situation leaves Moise running unopposed

This year’s Student Government presidential race may be over before it even begins.

This election year, no longer will students walking through the UC Breezeway be bombarded by numerous political campaigners running for SG president, vice-president and treasurer. This year there will only be one political team handing out flyers and preaching to get your vote.

Junior Lionel Moise is running for president of Student Government unopposed. For the first time in at least a decade, a candidate will run for the most prestigious seat in office without any competition.

“It’s the first time in a long time, and I know the first time in the 12 years I have been here,” said Patricia A. Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs.

“I still have to get 50 percent of the vote in order to win,” Moise said. “Students can always write in any candidate they want. What is most important for me, no matter what, is to have the respect and support of the students here at Miami.”

Current student body president Brandon Gross, a senior, is confused as to why more people are not willing to take the reins to this university.

“I’m disappointed,” said Gross, who won in a runoff last year. “Not in [Moise], but we were able to get a lot of things done this year. You would think more people would see that and step up…Competition is always good. It forces you to keep your word and keep fighting.”

Moise still plans on campaigning before the election.

Justin Antweil

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...