Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: UM students should participate in ‘Earth Hour’

From melting glaciers to dramatic weather patterns, climate change is already impacting life on Earth. On March 28, 2009, at 8:30 p.m., tens of millions of people will demonstrate concern for our planet by turning out their lights for one hour. Earth Hour reminds us that we all have a role to play in fighting climate change. I urge the University of Miami community to take part and support Earth Hour, which is being led by the World Wildlife Fund. More than 50 million people participated in 2008, as lights went dark at the Empire State Building, Golden Gate Bridge and Sydney’s Opera House. Even Google went dark. Earth Hour 2009 will be even bigger with more than 240 cities and hundreds of college campuses participating. This is a critical moment for our planet. Through Earth Hour we can collectively raise our voices and demand that our elected leaders join with the global community to find solutions to this urgent problem. Earth Hour is free. Visit www.EarthHourUS.org to learn more. On March 28 at 8:30, let’s all turn out for Earth Hour and for the future of our planet.

– Alexandra Wright
Senior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...