Assistant vice president for Student Affairs up for position at Michigan

Richard Walker, the assistant vice president for Student Affairs, is one of three finalists for the combined position of dean of students and associate vice president for Student Affairs at the University of Michigan.

The two other finalists are Karen Boyd, the senior associate dean of Student Life at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and Laura Jones, the interim dean of students and director of the Office of Student Life at the University of Oregon.

“There was a large candidate pool so being one of the three finalists is impressive,” said Linda Hancock Green, Michigan’s director of communication for the Division of Student Affairs.

These three candidates are being interviewed to replace Susan Eklunb, the previous associate vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, who is now retired. Sam Goodin is currently serving as the interim assistant dean of students.

Walker came to the University of Miami in 1987 to become the assistant dean of Student Personnel. In 1989, he became the associate dean of students for Greek Affairs and Judicial Affairs before being named to his current position in 2003.

All three candidates will be visiting Michigan from Feb. 17 to Feb. 19 and will be available to speak to students and faculty.

Efforts to contact Walker in his office and over the phone were unsuccessful.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...