Assistant vice president for Student Affairs up for position at Michigan

Richard Walker, the assistant vice president for Student Affairs, is one of three finalists for the combined position of dean of students and associate vice president for Student Affairs at the University of Michigan.

The two other finalists are Karen Boyd, the senior associate dean of Student Life at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and Laura Jones, the interim dean of students and director of the Office of Student Life at the University of Oregon.

“There was a large candidate pool so being one of the three finalists is impressive,” said Linda Hancock Green, Michigan’s director of communication for the Division of Student Affairs.

These three candidates are being interviewed to replace Susan Eklunb, the previous associate vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, who is now retired. Sam Goodin is currently serving as the interim assistant dean of students.

Walker came to the University of Miami in 1987 to become the assistant dean of Student Personnel. In 1989, he became the associate dean of students for Greek Affairs and Judicial Affairs before being named to his current position in 2003.

All three candidates will be visiting Michigan from Feb. 17 to Feb. 19 and will be available to speak to students and faculty.

Efforts to contact Walker in his office and over the phone were unsuccessful.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...