Junior Lionel Moise the only candidate for SG president

MOISE

MOISE

There is only one candidate running in this year’s Student Government presidential election: Lionel Moise, a junior, who will be running alongside vice-presidential candidate Kristen Weaver and candidate for treasurer Jeremy Kruger, both of whom are also juniors.

Competition still exists outside of this ticket, titled “U Matter, U Decide,” in the form of write-in candidates. However, write-in candidates cannot use graphic campaigning, which Brian M. Orefice, the co-advisor of Student Government, said is anything besides e-mail and word of mouth.

According to Student Government President Brandon Gross, the application process, for which the deadline was Feb. 6 at 5 p.m., became easier this year. Not only were applications in their usual locations, in the orientation and Student Government offices, but candidates for the first time had the option of applying online at www.miami.edu/sg.

Gross said that this was the only time Student Government advisors has seen a single-party race.

“People finally got to see Student Government do more and I thought this would encourage more people to step up to run next election,” Gross said.

Graphic campaigning begins today at 9 a.m. According to Moise, his team still plans on campaigning. They want students to know their platform and to make sure they are serving their constituent’s desires.

Moise continued to say that he had no problem in the application process to register his ticket.

Orefice said that there were rumors of up to three tickets running this year.

SG elections will occur from Feb. 23 to Feb. 25 and will also include senatorial races.

Info Boxes:
U Matter, U Decide
–          Online ticketing for games
–          Movie rentals at the UC
–          Expanded shuttle to Key Biscayne and Miracle Mile
–          More consistent Ibis Rides at the University Village

Lionel Moise
–          Member of Alpha Phi Alpha
–          Chief of Staff Internal for SG
–          R.A. for the University Village
–          First Vice President of UBS
–          Orientation Leader

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...