Baseball

Starting rotation led by preseason All-American

As the Hurricanes baseball season begins tomorrow against Rutgers at renovated Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field, questions about the starting rotation remain.

The Canes have a great chance to win every Friday night as they rely heavily on their sophomore ace Chris Hernandez. The southpaw had a phenomenal freshman campaign as he posted an 11-0 record and 2.72 ERA. He had more strikeouts than innings pitched and only allowed 15 extra base hits in 112 2/3 innings pitched.

“It’s a big burden,” said Hernandez, the reigning Baseball America National Freshman of the Year. “I think I can handle it, I like the pressure and I like being the leader of the team.”

Hernandez’s out pitch is his cutter and during the offseason he worked on perfecting his changeup and curveball.

This season will not be easy without sophomore pitcher Eric Erickson. The left-hander will miss the entire season due to reconstructive elbow surgery. “Easy E” was 19-3 in his first two seasons at UM and was shut down for precautionary reasons in the middle of last season before battling arm fatigue the entire postseason.

“Erickson was a huge loss,” head coach Jim Morris said. “When you have Chris Hernandez on Friday night and Eric Erickson on Saturday night, you expect to be 2-0 going into Sunday. It’s huge when you lose a guy you expect to win every night he’s on the mound.”

Junior right-hander David Gutierrez will replace Erickson in the Saturday slot. Gutierrez was 5-0, but had an above average 4.75 ERA. Last year he was a midweek starter facing lesser competition.

Sunday’s spot is still up in the air. Junior college transfer Taylor Wulf was set to get the nod, but Morris said the righty will be needed to help the bullpen.

Junior righty John Housey has an outside chance at cracking the weekend rotation. If not, he will be a valuable commodity in midweek games. Sophomore southpaw Iden Nazario will be in the weekday rotation as well. He must improve his control as he had seven walks in 11 1/3 innings pitched last season.

Justin Antweil

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...