Baseball

Starting rotation led by preseason All-American

As the Hurricanes baseball season begins tomorrow against Rutgers at renovated Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field, questions about the starting rotation remain.

The Canes have a great chance to win every Friday night as they rely heavily on their sophomore ace Chris Hernandez. The southpaw had a phenomenal freshman campaign as he posted an 11-0 record and 2.72 ERA. He had more strikeouts than innings pitched and only allowed 15 extra base hits in 112 2/3 innings pitched.

“It’s a big burden,” said Hernandez, the reigning Baseball America National Freshman of the Year. “I think I can handle it, I like the pressure and I like being the leader of the team.”

Hernandez’s out pitch is his cutter and during the offseason he worked on perfecting his changeup and curveball.

This season will not be easy without sophomore pitcher Eric Erickson. The left-hander will miss the entire season due to reconstructive elbow surgery. “Easy E” was 19-3 in his first two seasons at UM and was shut down for precautionary reasons in the middle of last season before battling arm fatigue the entire postseason.

“Erickson was a huge loss,” head coach Jim Morris said. “When you have Chris Hernandez on Friday night and Eric Erickson on Saturday night, you expect to be 2-0 going into Sunday. It’s huge when you lose a guy you expect to win every night he’s on the mound.”

Junior right-hander David Gutierrez will replace Erickson in the Saturday slot. Gutierrez was 5-0, but had an above average 4.75 ERA. Last year he was a midweek starter facing lesser competition.

Sunday’s spot is still up in the air. Junior college transfer Taylor Wulf was set to get the nod, but Morris said the righty will be needed to help the bullpen.

Junior righty John Housey has an outside chance at cracking the weekend rotation. If not, he will be a valuable commodity in midweek games. Sophomore southpaw Iden Nazario will be in the weekday rotation as well. He must improve his control as he had seven walks in 11 1/3 innings pitched last season.

Justin Antweil

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...