Sports Briefs

TRACK/FIELD

Senior Murielle Ahoure won both the 60 and 200-meter titles Saturday at the Gilliam Indoor Track and Field Stadium at Texas A&M. Ahoure, who owns the world’s fastest time in the 60-meter event, became the world’s fastest sprinter this year in the 200-meter with a time of 23.14 seconds.

Sophomore All-American Ti’erra Brown finished second in the 60-meter hurdle and the 4×400 relay team also claimed second place for Miami.

SWIMMING/DIVING

National Champion and All-American junior diver Brittany Viola was announced as an addition to the USA diving roster for the 2009 FINA World Championships in Rome.

Earlier in the week, Viola competed at the World Selection Camp in Columbus, Ohio, where she recorded the highest score in the one-meter springboard. She also scored two second-place and one third-place dives on the platform event.

The 5′5″ Orlando, Fla. native will join six Beijing Olympians in July as they compete in Italy.

SOCCER

Five members of the women’s soccer team were named to the 2008 All-ACC Academic Team.

Sophomores Brittney Macdonald, Brittney Steinbruch and Lauren Singer earned their second honors, while senior Corynn Carino and freshman Julianne Rickers were recognized for the first time.

To be eligible, student-athletes must have earned a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester and a 3.0 cumulative average during her academic career.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...