Campus political groups adjust to life after the election

COMBATTING INERTIA: The UM Young & College Democrats and College Republicans are striving to maintain interest and increase membership despite the national election being overthe price will rise five percent. JOSEPH CAPUANO // HURRICANE STAFF

While the historic presidential election is long over, political activism on campus is just beginning.

Along with promoting each of their party’s specific ideals and causes, both the University of Miami Young & College Democrats and the UM College Republicans are seeking exposure because the number of participating members before and after the election has dropped substantially.

According to senior Maria Pelfrey, the president of UM College Republicans, her organization had 60 active members before the election, but this semester there are only 20 members involved and attending meetings.

Despite the fact that President Barack Obama is a Democrat, the UM Young & College Democrats also experienced a decrease in participating members. According to junior Jason Stevens, the organization’s president, there were 60 students actively involved during the campaign season. This semester, that number has decreased approximately 50 percent.

“I think it is just natural for people to care more during the election year,” Stevens said. “Plus, Obama was so attractive to young people like ourselves looking for change. People really went out of their way to have a say.”

Both clubs at UM plan to do a service event together in March, although details have yet to be finalized.

The UM College Republicans plan on performing a beach cleanup this spring, but their main priority is recruiting new members.

“It’s all about getting more members,” said Harout Samra, a graduate student and member of UM College Republicans. “Whether it’s getting people connected with internships or hearing guest speakers, the idea is to get more people involved.”

Another member, sophomore Sammie Rositano, has a personal goal she would like to achieve.

“I would like to change the image people have of Republicans,” Rositano said. “The media makes it taboo to be a Republican and the party is viewed with disdain. Personally, I would like to see this portrayal change mostly because it is inaccurate and exaggerated.”

On the other side of the spectrum, UM Young & College Democrats plan on having a “First 100 Days in Office” celebration in April.

They have already booked political comedian Jeff Chrysler to perform at the Rathskeller on Feb. 25.

While freshman Alec Rivera wants to promote the party platform both locally and nationwide, he still wants to see more change.

“My goals are more issue-based,” said Rivera. “This includes working towards a greener economy, becoming less dependent on oil, expanding healthcare coverage to as many Americans as possible and fighting for the greater rights of the LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender) community.”

How to Get Involved
UM Young & College Democrats

www.umdemocrats.com

Room: CIB 4053

Monday nights at 7 p.m.

UM College Republicans:

Join the Facebook Group UM College Republicans

Meetings are on the second floor of the UC every other Monday night

Justin Antweil

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...