Exhibit of Everglades and Marjory Stoneman Douglas now at Richter Library

Students interested in the environmental movement and the Florida Everglades are now in for a treat.

Archives Coordinator Beatrice Skokan and her team at the Special Collections office of the University of Miami Otto T. Richter Library are now launching a new digital exhibit, which first opened Jan. 29.

The exhibit features Marjory Stoneman Douglas, a champion of the Florida Everglades and founder of Florida’s environmental movement.

“Environmental issues are at the forefront of national policies,” Skokan said, a mother of two who developed her passion for ecology as an undergraduate.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas exhibit was Skokan’s internship project last fall at Florida State University, where she completed her master’s degree in library science.

At UM, Skokan pitched the idea of bringing the digital presentation to Cristina Favretto, the head of special collections at the library. Favretto believed the display would benefit both students at UM and Miami residents.

“This collection contained all the elements that make for a compelling online collection,’’ Favretto said. “We are a team and all provide input for decision-making on department projects.”

Skokan said she put more than 200 hours into the exhibit, while at the same time, learning new fields of work from other departments such as digital initiatives, systems, and metadata.

Douglass will always be remembered, particularly in South Florida, for the profound impact she had on the environment. Her book, The Everglades: River of Grass, published in 1947, brought attention to the Everglades at a time when people looked upon it as little more than a swamp.

Since Douglas, who passed away in 1998 at the age of 108, has an enormous history of achievements, only 64 boxes of data could fit into the exhibit.

“It is the process of selecting material that will make an interesting story,” said Skokan.

This site features Douglas’ autobiography, a timeline that corresponds to Miami and Florida events, as well as international and national events, project background, images, maps, old news articles, a 39-foot-long book of manuscripts, diary entries, videos, and masses of other appealing sources that were handed down from research contributors.

“She worked in depth with the papers that were donated,” said Cory Czajkowski, senior library assistant. “She was working on this piece for quite some time now. It’s a really well-done site.”

About Author

Carly Ehrlich Contributing News Writer

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

Briadam Herrera continued his sparkling postseason run Friday at the IU Natatorium, finishing as the ...

The Hurricanes will welcome a talented field of teams to Cobb Stadium for the second of three home m ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team fell to Boston College, 6-1, Friday afternoon at the Flynn ...

The Miami Hurricanes dropped their series opener to No. 8 North Carolina Friday afternoon at Boshame ...