Football

John Lovett named as Miami’s new defensive coordinator

John Lovett

John Lovett

The University of Miami has announced that John Lovett will be the school’s new defensive coordinator, replacing Bill Young, who left for the same position at Oklahoma State.

Lovett served the last two years at North Carolina as the team’s special teams coordinator and a defensive assistant.

“John brings a wealth of experience and success, as well as a comprehensive knowledge of the ACC,” head coach Randy Shannon said in a statement. “He has consistently elevated the play of defenses at every school he has coached.”

In the past 10 years, Lovett has served as a defensive coordinator at Bowling Green, Auburn and Clemson.

For more on the hiring of John Lovett, stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...