Valentine’s for the lovers, Festivus for the rest of us

My first Valentine’s Day alone since I was 15 years old is two days away. Until this week, I’d never really thought that was a big deal, but with the Kay’s Jewelers commercials on heavy rotation and pink things all around me, I’m finally starting to feel helpless against the V-Day hype.

Valentine’s Day and I have been at odds for a while now. I’ve gone back and forth on how I’ve felt about the day that’s marked personal disappointment, relief, turmoil and even the loss of a v-card (cliché!).

But about a month ago, in a drugged-up stream-of-consciousness writing session, I wrote a single thought about Valentine’s Day that’s been sticking in my mind ever since. The idea behind it was something like “it’s just unrealistic to show your affection for someone every day like you do on a day when everything around you is cute and red and pink and heart-y.”

Fast-forward to two days ago – I was chatting with a girl-pal of mine and she was telling me about some issues she was having with a guy. She was explaining to me that her anticipation of Valentine’s Day was forcing her mind to f*ck itself, and all she expected by the end of the 14th was a dismal feeling of disappointment.

While she’s not exactly the type to like a candlelit dinner and a bouquet of roses (more so a picnic on a rooftop and a handful of sunflowers), her Valentine’s Day wishes are simple – she wants her guy to make her feel special.

I told her it was a good thing that she expected that on Valentine’s Day from someone she cares about. And if her guy can’t deliver, it’s his own fault because he wasn’t ready to make an effort.

She threw up her hands and asked if she was expecting too much on a day that’s so ridiculously over the top with fake love propaganda. So I thought about what we really expect. I thought about what we really long for on that day.

It’s certainly not those tiny candy hearts that say “B Mine” or “Ur Cute.” Nor is it an outwardly cute sentiment like roses that have no real emotion behind it. What we really want is to feel special. We’re all constantly reminded we’re so regular and normal throughout the year, that on one day we just want to be convinced by someone that we’re so much more.

Valentine’s Day is just two days away, and I’ll likely be spending it alone, ideally listening to some mellow hip-hop and playing Madden. In all honesty, I prefer it that way, because for once I can figure my own shit out without a girl telling me I’m adorable or funny or other flattering adjectives over a bowl of alfredo.

But for one moment, or for the full 24 hours of V-Day, we should all look around at the genuine joy of the people in love around us and be happy about the joy and special people we have in our own lives.

As easily as it could be, V-Day doesn’t have to be a sad day. It doesn’t have to be one spent in the bottom of a vodka bottle because that cute guy from French class just doesn’t seem to notice you.

If you have a Valentine, enjoy your time spent with them and remind each other how cute and unique you both are. And if your Valentine is a shot glass, try to remind yourself that you’re extraordinary and you will be, whether you have someone there to tell you or not.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...