Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

University of North Carolina special teams coach and defensive assistant John Lovett is rumored to be hired as the new defensive coordinator of the University of Miami football program, according to an article in The Miami Herald.

Lovett, 58, would be the third defensive coordinator in three seasons at UM and would replace Bill Young, who left last month for his alma mater, Oklahoma State. Lovett has spent 15 seasons coaching, with stops at Bowling Green, Clemson, Auburn and Maine.

It was announced that 2009 football season ticket prices have been reduced in 24 sections at Dolphin Stadium, which amounts to around 15,000 seats. All other sections will remain unchanged from last year.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

No. 15 Miami (6-0) will face top-ranked Northwestern (3-0) in the first round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Women’s Team Indoor at 9 a.m. tomorrow at the A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wis.

While four Hurricanes are nationally-ranked singles players – sophomores Julia Cohen (No. 8), Bianca Eichkorn (No. 20), Michaela Kissell (No. 50) and junior Laura Vallverdu (No. 114) – the Wilcats have three players in the top-30, including top-ranked sophomore Maria Mosolova.

Each team has a pair of ranked doubles teams and have beaten three ranked opponents so far this season.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Senior guard Jack McClinton was named the ACC Player of the Week after averaging 33 points, three rebounds and 1.5 steals in a 79-52 win against sixth-ranked Wake Forest and 78-75 overtime loss to fourth-ranked Duke. This marks the third time the Baltimore, Md., native has earned the honor.

Antoine Allen, a 6’2″, 186-pound prep school guard who is a member of the same AAU team McClinton played for (Cecil Kirk), hopes to sign with the Canes in April, according to The Miami Herald. He is considered a three-star recruit by Rivals and Scout.com, but is from the same mold as Miami’s All-ACC guard.

SWIMMING/DIVING

University of Miami National Champion and All-American junior diver Brittany Viola took part in the World Championship Team Selection Camp in Columbus, Ohio, over the past few days.

She scored two second-place finishes and one third-place dive on the platform, while receiving first and third on the one-meter springboard.

TRACK/FIELD

For the second time this season, senior Murielle Ahoure received the honor of ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Week.

At the Virginia Tech Elite this past weekend, Ahoure finished first in both the 60-meter dash, which she holds the world’s fastest time in this year, and the 200-meter dash.

VOLLEYBALL

Junior libero Cassie Loessberg earned Most Valuable Player, while sophomore setter Katie Gallagher was given her second consecutive 100% Award at the annual volleyball end-of-the-year awards ceremony.

Senior middle blocker Angelica Ellis took the Most Inspirational Award and three outside hitters were given honors – redshirt freshman Christine Williamson the Co-Most Improved Award, senior Bridget Bomhack the Unsung Hero Award and sophomore Maria Andersson the Academic Award.

The Canes collected their best ACC record at 14-6, and just missed making their second-ever appearance in the NCAA tournament.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...