It’s possible to have a big date on a small budget

Many think the key to a great date is the amount of money put into it, but a memorable Valentine’s Day is still possible on a student budget. This year, instead of trying to impress a date with a fancy meal or an extravagant gift, students can take advantage of various Valentine’s Day events in Miami without having to stretch out their wallets. Here are some Valentine’s ideas for $20 or less.

Mark di Suervo at Fairchild

What: Among its other exhibits, Fairchild Gardens is featuring sculptures from American artist Mark di Suervo including a never-before-exhibited piece titled Olompali.

Cost: $20 per ticket

When: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Where: Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens

Coconut Grove Arts Festival

What: The 46th-annual Coconut Grove Arts Festival will feature over 330 artists, live entertainment and food tastings.

Cost: $7 per day

When: Feb. 14-16 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: Coconut Grove’s McFarlane Road, South Bayshore Drive and Pan American Drive

The Sunset

What: Watch the sun set for an intimate, low-cost date.

Cost: Free

Where: One of the few Miami beaches facing west, the beach off Rickenbacker Causeway in Key Biscayne is a good spot to watch the sun set across the Miami skyline.

“Moonlight & Music” Valentine’s Concert

What: An outdoor concert under the stars, “Moonlight & Music” will be featuring jazz vocalist Nicole Henry and country artist Erin Pettit. Guests are welcome to bring blankets and food for a romantic evening by Biscayne Bay.

Cost: $20 per ticket

When: 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.

Where: Deering Estate at Cutler

Kayak Rentals

What: Rent a kayak at Deering Estate and experience Biscayne Bay’s natural wildlife firsthand. Kayak rentals are available for those 21 or older.

Cost: $10 admission and $10 per hour on the kayak

When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Where: Deering Estate at Cutler

Ice Cream on the Beach

What: Eat ice cream from Gelateria Parmalat and take a romantic stroll down Lincoln Road. Parmalat offers over 20 flavors of ice cream with a variety of options ranging from sorbet to light milk gelato that has 70 percent less fat than regular ice cream.

Cost: From $3.69 for a small to $6.37 for a large

When: 12 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.

Where: 670 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

Junior Dewi Weber will become the first University of Miami golfer to compete in the Arnold Palmer C ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...