Kappa Kappa Gamma to hold philanthropy book fair

UM’s Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter is seeking to impact the lives of underprivileged children through reading.

The sorority will hold its annual Scholastic Book Fair Feb. 16 in the UM breezeway. An assortment of books will be available and the weeklong event supports the chapter’s national philanthropy, Reading Is Fundamental, Inc.

RIF’s highest priority is to motivate youth to read.

The proceeds gathered at this event will help sorority members read at Henry S. West Laboratory School through a program called Reading Buddies.

“Reading Buddies gives me a chance to get involved with little kids that have so much energy and that really want to learn if you approach them the right way,” said Hanna King, a KKG member.

“Through this event we are able to collect the funds necessary that enable us to read new and exciting books in our program,” member Brandi Wyskocil said.

In the spring of 2008 the sorority was able to raise nearly $4,000 to donate to a local school whose library had recently burned down. This year, the sorority wants to raise $5,000 to aid other schools.

Diana Escobar

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...