Baseball

University of Miami baseball coach Jim Morris reacts to A-Rod’s confession

Just 24 hours after South Florida native and New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs from 2001-2003, University of Miami baseball head coach Jim Morris responded to the news.

“I am not in a position to talk about that,” Morris said. “The only thing I know about Alex [Rodriguez] is that he is a guy committed to the University of Miami. He originally signed with us. He is a great player that works hard and is always out here. He is a friend of mine, and I enjoy watching him play. He is as good as anybody in baseball.”

Rodriguez recently donated $4 million to UM, 3.9 of which went specifically to the baseball team and renovations for a new press box, weight room, video room, study lounge and wooden lockers. The stadium is set to be renamed Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park.

A-Rod signed a letter of intent to become a Hurricane after playing high school ball at Westminster Christian in Southwest Miami-Dade, but elected to go to the major leagues at the age of 18.

In an exclusive interview with ESPN on Monday, he confessed to using performance-enhancing drugs during his career with the Texas Rangers when he agreed to the then-most lucrative contract in sports history: $252 million over 10 years.

“I did take a banned substance and for that I am very sorry and deeply regretful,” Rodriguez said from his home in Miami.

Selena Roberts, the Sports Illustrated reporter who broke the story, confronted Rodriguez with the allegation at the Hecht Athletic Center last Wednesday.

The University of Miami preseason banquet is still scheduled for 6 p.m. Friday on the baseball diamond, with the 11-time all-star expected to be in attendance.

“[Rodriguez] spends more time at this ballpark working out and in our weight room than anybody I know of,” Morris said.

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...