Sports Briefs

TRACK/FIELD

Senior Murielle Ahoure, who owns the fastest time in the 60-meter dash this year, won the 200-meter dash with a provisional time of 23.26 seconds at the Virginia Tech Elite on Saturday.

Junior Mikese Morse notched his third provisional mark of the year for a season-best distance of 7.58 meters in the long jump and also placed third in the triple jump.

On the women’s side, sophomore Tameka Jameson won the 400-meter dash and freshman Brittni Finch finished third in her first collegiate attempt at the triple jump.

Miami participates at the Texas A&M Invite next weekend.

SOCCER

Ten student-athletes will join the University of Miami women’s soccer team as part of the 2009 class, including two All-Americans, three National ODP Players, six Regional ODP players and three national champions.

Defender Cassidy Banks and goalkeeper Ali Brennan each played for the national champion McLean Freedom club team. Forward Samantha Falk was a five-time state champion in club soccer and recorded 38 goals and 70 assists during her high school career.

The Canes finished 10-9-3 and reached the first round of the NCAA tournament for the second consecutive year this season. The program will lose just two starters for next year and returns 18 letter-winners.

VOLLEYBALL

University of Miami freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was named an honorable mention for the 2008 Stellar Spiker team from Collegiate Volleyball Update (CVU.com), which recently tabbed her as a rising star.

This marks the fourth award for Carico, who led the squad in kills (369), service aces (35) and points (433).

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

About Author

Christina De Nicola Editor In Chief

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...