UM’s Kappa Sigma charter revoked by national organization

kappa_sigma_logo_smallThe Epsilon-Beta Kappa Sigma fraternity at the University of Miami is no longer a charted chapter of the organization, according to Mitchell Wilson, the executive director of Kappa Sigma. This punishment was in response to social and alcohol violations contrary to their code of conduct.

This decision was reached after members of this chapter went to San Antonio on Jan. 31 for a hearing. They have 30 days to appeal this decision.

If the appeal is successful then the charter could be given back to this chapter and would receive a lesser punishment.

However, if it fails then Kappa Sigma would leave campus and would not return until a date decided on between the University of Miami and the national Kappa Sigma organization.

“We will wait until the landscape has changed,” Wilson said. “It will be after everyone that is currently a member graduates so we can get a fresh start.”

This decision was made internally by the fraternity and the University of Miami was not involved according to Tony Lake, the associate dean of students.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

6 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “UM’s Kappa Sigma charter revoked by national organization”

1. Alpha-Eta says:

Looked for you guys on spring break. Too bad.

AEKDB

2. Adam says:

Shut up sunset. Stupid GDI’s don’t know what they’re talking about. I’ll bet you’re one of those people who criticizes fraternities because their members pay monthly dues. Well we’re not paying for friendship, and that’s just something you’ll never understand.

3. sunset says:

Yay! One less fraternity at UM!

4. When breaking news is posted, sometimes grammatical errors slip through. This is one of those cases, and has been fixed. Thanks for reading.

5. katie says:

“However, if it fails than Kappa Sigma would leave campus”

…how embarassing that the asisstant news editor doesn’t know the difference between then and than.

6. Ken Machol says:

Its a sad day for all Kappa Sigma brothers throughout the land.

AEKDB

Ken Machol
    Rho Chapter
    Arizona State University

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...