UM’s Kappa Sigma charter revoked by national organization

kappa_sigma_logo_smallThe Epsilon-Beta Kappa Sigma fraternity at the University of Miami is no longer a charted chapter of the organization, according to Mitchell Wilson, the executive director of Kappa Sigma. This punishment was in response to social and alcohol violations contrary to their code of conduct.

This decision was reached after members of this chapter went to San Antonio on Jan. 31 for a hearing. They have 30 days to appeal this decision.

If the appeal is successful then the charter could be given back to this chapter and would receive a lesser punishment.

However, if it fails then Kappa Sigma would leave campus and would not return until a date decided on between the University of Miami and the national Kappa Sigma organization.

“We will wait until the landscape has changed,” Wilson said. “It will be after everyone that is currently a member graduates so we can get a fresh start.”

This decision was made internally by the fraternity and the University of Miami was not involved according to Tony Lake, the associate dean of students.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...