Football

Signing day superlatives

Taking a look at the players who actually signed their letter of intent today, here is my second annual round of signing day superlatives. I included last year’s picks to give some reference as to how successful I have been. This operates under the assumption that Bryce Brown is likely to sign with the Canes, though he is technically not yet part of the class.

Best Offensive Player: Lamar Miller. Miller was the top runner in Dade County this year, and he could immediately see the field if he picks up the blocking scheme. Bryce Brown receives this honor if he signs with Miami down the road. Last year: Aldarius Johnson

Best Defensive Player: Ray Ray Armstrong. I am not sure what position he projects at best, but I am sure that every time I have watched him play he has been around the ball the entire game. Last year: Marcus Forston

Ken Dorsey Most Important Recruit Award: Armstrong was the leader of the state champion team in the Florida 6A classification. This team needs players that can come in and not only play well on the field but be leaders off the field. Last year: Jacory Harris

Most Likely to be a First Round Pick: Brandon Washington. Washington is the type of road-grader that can clear a path for any running back and fits the scheme at guard or right tackle. If he gets better in pass protection, he will be a first rounder. Last year: Forston

Biggest Statement Recruit: Armstrong. Ray Ray is from Gator Country and was recruited heavily by all of the big boys, but in the end he followed his heart to the Canes, even when UF, LSU and FSU put on the full court press. Last year: Arthur Brown/Ramon Buchanon

Most Likely to Start Against Florida State: Washington. Washington could compete for three different positions on the O-line, and this seems to be the position most open to competition, particularly from someone who already has played a post-graduation year of football. Washington could be similar in impact to Orlando Franklin two years ago. Last year: Patrick Hill/Jake Wieclaw

Professor X Award (Genetic Freak): Armstrong. He moves very well for a guy of his stature, and the assumption is that his weight will reach between 235 and 255 lbs. That is why the Sean Taylor comparisons, albeit unwarranted, are running rampant. Last year: Marcus Robinson

Rip Van Winkle Award (Sleeper Pick): Corey White. The coaching staff sees him as the next Jason Fox. People panning this recruit because he is “not big enough” should look back at what Fox looked like the summer before his freshman season, when he started the season opener at left tackle. Last year: Zach Kane

Best Name: A.J. Highsmith. Highsmith’s dad was an all-time Hurricane great, and it will be nice to see the name back on a Miami jersey. Last year: Cannon Smith

Dan Stein

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...