Franz Ferdinand fails to match standard with ‘Tonight’

After a long absence from the music scene, Franz Ferdinand is back with Tonight, the band’s third studio album. While it, like the group’s second disc, fails to reach the epic standards of “Take Me Out” off their 2004 self-titled debut, Tonight is danceable, sexy, and subtle. This album has a deliberate, less frenetic sound, but it’s not all that catchy.

The Scottish quartet’s return after five years is certainly welcome even if they can’t achieve the happy balance between dance and rock that they did on their premiere album. “No You Girls” (recently featured on “Gossip Girl”) comes closest to the stomping pleasure of “Take Me Out,” but it isn’t really a worthy successor. In fact, all of Franz Ferdinand’s songs sound similar on Tonight and it becomes difficult to discern one song from another. Highlights include the unrepentantly romantic “Katherine Kiss Me” and the understated “Twilight Omens,” easily Tonight‘s best song.

With the amount of time between releases, listeners might have expected something better than the final product. That isn’t to say that Tonight is a disappointment overall, but no song leaves a lasting impression.

Rating: 2.5/4

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...