Franz Ferdinand fails to match standard with ‘Tonight’

After a long absence from the music scene, Franz Ferdinand is back with Tonight, the band’s third studio album. While it, like the group’s second disc, fails to reach the epic standards of “Take Me Out” off their 2004 self-titled debut, Tonight is danceable, sexy, and subtle. This album has a deliberate, less frenetic sound, but it’s not all that catchy.

The Scottish quartet’s return after five years is certainly welcome even if they can’t achieve the happy balance between dance and rock that they did on their premiere album. “No You Girls” (recently featured on “Gossip Girl”) comes closest to the stomping pleasure of “Take Me Out,” but it isn’t really a worthy successor. In fact, all of Franz Ferdinand’s songs sound similar on Tonight and it becomes difficult to discern one song from another. Highlights include the unrepentantly romantic “Katherine Kiss Me” and the understated “Twilight Omens,” easily Tonight‘s best song.

With the amount of time between releases, listeners might have expected something better than the final product. That isn’t to say that Tonight is a disappointment overall, but no song leaves a lasting impression.

Rating: 2.5/4

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...