UM gears up for another year of SportsFest

The popular video game Rock Band is one of several new competitions in the 2009 edition of SportsFest, which will be held from Feb. 6-8.

In addition to a Rock Band tournament, SportsFest will feature a new tennis game with a clocked serve speed, the popular home run derby and a modified obstacle course, which picked up a new sponsor in Red Bull energy drink.

SportsFest is the annual springtime event that pits students in the five residence halls, apartments, University Village and commuters against one another. Contests range from the typical – flag football, basketball and soccer – to the atypical – bocce, couch potato trivia and horseshoes.

The tradition dates back to 1986, when Hecht challenged Stanford to an athletic competition and won. Since then, the rest of the campus has joined the fray, generating the campus-wide buzz.

“SportsFest kind of gets everyone involved,” junior Emily Bouck said. “Everyone has a good time.”

New events such as Rock Band are voted in every year by the SportsFest Committee.

“They go over last year’s events. They pick what they want in again, and then they look at the schedule, go back and forth and decide what best fits the schedule and what the best sports would be,” said Tom Soria, who oversees intramurals and special events at the Wellness Center.

Soria said that SportsFest’s main goal is to help bring the campus together, particularly those who live in different residences.

“I think the most important aspect is the relationship it builds between residences,” Soria said. “Once you’re there, you’ll see people and say ‘Oh, I’ve seen them, I just didn’t know who they were,’ and then you know them.”

For more information about SportsFest rules and events, go to www.miami.edu/um_global_static_files/wellness_department_files/IM/Rules/sportsfest.pdf.

Kevin Clark

Contributing Sports Writer

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...