Sports Briefs

SWIMMING/DIVING

Miami picked up 22 top-three times on Saturday as the Hurricanes defeated Florida International 152-79 at the Bay Vista Aquatics Complex in Miami, Fla.

In the final dual race of the season before the ACC Championships in late February, the Canes (10-7) finished with their best record since combining the men’s and women’s programs.

Junior Brittany Viola took the three-meter diving event, while senior Jenna Dreyer won the one-meter springboard in her first action since Oct. 25 at Duke.

UM swept the 200 freestyle, 200 individual medley and 100 butterfly. In team spots, the Hurricanes posted top times in the 200 medley relay and 200 freestlyle relay. Freshman Ryann Labreche finished first in both the 200 and 500 freestyles.

The Canes improved to 9-0 all-time against the Panthers (2-9).

SOCCER

University of Miami freshman goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo was named to the Soccer Buzz Third-Team Freshman All-American squad and sophomore defender Brittney Macdonald earned a spot on the All-Southeast Third-Team.

Alonzo also made it on the Southeast All-Freshman Team after recording a school-record 11 shutouts, shattering the previous record of six. She already ranks first in school history in single-season saves (114), goals-against-average (0.88) and minutes in goal (2,055).

Macdonald was an integral part of Alonzo’s record-setting season and was named to the Soccer Buzz Elite Team of the Week in week 10.

BASEBALL

The Hurricane Club will host a “Dinner on the Diamond” at 6 p.m. on Feb. 13 at Mark Light Field as part of a dedication to the opening of the renovated park and annual preseason festivities.

New York Yankees third baseman and 11-time Major League All-Star Alex Rodriguez, UM athletic director Kirby Hocutt, head coach Jim Morris, Boston Red Sox scout Laz Gutierrez and the entire 2009 Hurricanes team will be there.

Ticket prices are $75 per person and checks can be made payable to the University of Miami Department of Athletics. For more information, contact Stephanie Mansdorf at 305-284-5240 or smansdorf@miami.edu.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...