Restaurant Review: The Original Daily Bread Market

MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

Traveling to the Middle East can be complicated these days, but a stop at the Original Daily Bread Market on the corner of US-1 and 24th Avenue will satisfy a craving for the exotic with a perfectly harmonious tour of the other side of the world’s cuisine.

Middle Eastern archways adorn the entrance of this market/restaurant/bakery that showcases food, kitchenware, hookahs, music and even brightly colored traditional clothing from Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Morocco.

Start a meal with a bag of homemade fresh pita ($1.75), a soft, pillowy bread that is great for scooping up the delicious appetizers or mezzes, which range from $.50 for a side order of yogurt to $6.50 for stuffed grape leaves. The baba ghanoush, made with roasted eggplant and tahini (sesame seed paste), and the lentil pilaf were both first-rate.

Perfectly cooked falafel and gyro sandwiches – large, fresh, and filling – range from $4.50 to $5.95, but try the platters for a more comprehensive meal. The sweet Lamb Kafta Kabob platter ($7.95) is served with a nice combination of hummus, tabouli, pita bread and a simple green salad that comes alive with a delicious lemon mint dressing. The hummus (the Arabic word for chickpea) was smooth and savory, and the tabouli – a tart parsley, bulgur and tomato salad – was impeccably fresh. The lentil soup ($1.75) was also substantial, with a savory and intriguing mix of herbs.

Any of the baklava will make for a delightful ending. Individual pieces can be purchased at the desert counter for $1.50 or customers can opt for the take-home trays with assorted pieces, which range from $12 to $32.

Customers can also get equally flavorful, inexpensive food on-the-go at the market, which occupies a third of the venue. The spinach pies ($4.50) and the 8 oz. containers of hummus, tabouli, baba ghanoush and grape leaves ($3.25) are easy to stock in dorm fridges. The sesame sticks ($3.95) are a great snack and the bags of dried fruits, peaches, papaya, crystallized ginger, apricots, and pineapple taste delicious with the feta cheese and Armenian string cheese. Strawberries in light syrup ($3.75), rose hip marmalade ($3.50), and delicious marmalade from figs ($6.50) are also wonderful treats.

Original Daily Bread Marketplace

Middle Eastern and Greek cuisine

Mon-Sat 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., Sun 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

2400 SW 27th St.

305-856-0363 / 305-856-0366

Juliana Accioly

Contributing EDGE Writer

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...