Restaurant Review: The Original Daily Bread Market

MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

Traveling to the Middle East can be complicated these days, but a stop at the Original Daily Bread Market on the corner of US-1 and 24th Avenue will satisfy a craving for the exotic with a perfectly harmonious tour of the other side of the world’s cuisine.

Middle Eastern archways adorn the entrance of this market/restaurant/bakery that showcases food, kitchenware, hookahs, music and even brightly colored traditional clothing from Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Morocco.

Start a meal with a bag of homemade fresh pita ($1.75), a soft, pillowy bread that is great for scooping up the delicious appetizers or mezzes, which range from $.50 for a side order of yogurt to $6.50 for stuffed grape leaves. The baba ghanoush, made with roasted eggplant and tahini (sesame seed paste), and the lentil pilaf were both first-rate.

Perfectly cooked falafel and gyro sandwiches – large, fresh, and filling – range from $4.50 to $5.95, but try the platters for a more comprehensive meal. The sweet Lamb Kafta Kabob platter ($7.95) is served with a nice combination of hummus, tabouli, pita bread and a simple green salad that comes alive with a delicious lemon mint dressing. The hummus (the Arabic word for chickpea) was smooth and savory, and the tabouli – a tart parsley, bulgur and tomato salad – was impeccably fresh. The lentil soup ($1.75) was also substantial, with a savory and intriguing mix of herbs.

Any of the baklava will make for a delightful ending. Individual pieces can be purchased at the desert counter for $1.50 or customers can opt for the take-home trays with assorted pieces, which range from $12 to $32.

Customers can also get equally flavorful, inexpensive food on-the-go at the market, which occupies a third of the venue. The spinach pies ($4.50) and the 8 oz. containers of hummus, tabouli, baba ghanoush and grape leaves ($3.25) are easy to stock in dorm fridges. The sesame sticks ($3.95) are a great snack and the bags of dried fruits, peaches, papaya, crystallized ginger, apricots, and pineapple taste delicious with the feta cheese and Armenian string cheese. Strawberries in light syrup ($3.75), rose hip marmalade ($3.50), and delicious marmalade from figs ($6.50) are also wonderful treats.

Original Daily Bread Marketplace

Middle Eastern and Greek cuisine

Mon-Sat 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., Sun 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

2400 SW 27th St.

305-856-0363 / 305-856-0366

Juliana Accioly

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...