Student Government and university updates

Bikes

The University of Miami is becoming a more bike-friendly campus as sidewalks are widened and signs denoting safe places to bike are being placed around campus.

Additional bike racks have also been installed to accommodate this initiative. Student Government helped determine where these racks should be located and chose the color of the bikes.

The bookstore sold all 300 bikes in the first 10 days of the fall semester and has recently received 300 more. Around 60 have already been sold.

However, even with these changes, there are still unsafe places for bike riders. One area is the bridge across the canal leading to the University Center. At these places, bikes should be walked across.

“Eventually we want to make the entire campus safe for bikes,” Student Government President Brandon Gross said.

Live shuttle tracking available

The ability to track the UM Hurry ‘Cane shuttles and Ibis Rides live online is now available to University of Miami students at http://www.umshuttles.com/.

This project was launched last year under former SG President Danny Carvajal’s administration and is continued by the Gross administration. Live shuttle tracking can be accessed at UMShuttles.com from a computer or PDA device.

Zipcars

Two new Zipcars have been added to the Mahoney-Pearson parking lot.

In the works

Around 2,300 students returned the Student Government survey on the advising process; the results are now being studied.

The Executive Board of Student Government is working to redesign the University of Miami’s Web site to make its search engine function more user-friendly.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...