Miami-Dade College brings Dali’s illustrations of hell to life

A riveting exhibit, “The Divine Comedy by Salvador Dalí” takes Dante Alighieri’s poetic depiction of hell, purgatory and paradise and transforms each canto into illustrations of the horror and beauty of life after death.

The 100 watercolor illustrations line the walls of three rooms each corresponding with a specific book in The Divine Comedy: Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso. Each image gives a similar explanation of Dante’s cantos but with a different view.

In Inferno, grotesque interpretations of hell line red and white walls, exuding the painful and suffering consequences of sin.

Purgatorio radiates in yellow, depicting the challenge of souls to face their sins and gradually ascend to heaven. This section displays the interesting interpretation Dalí makes of Dante the Pilgrim. The artist takes his famous surreal image of sexual persecution, masturbation and Freudian logic “The Great Masturbator” and includes similar qualities in his portrayal of Dante in Purgatory.

The final sequence of images, placed on sky blue walls, evokes the happiness and calm of Paradiso. The exhibit ends on a high note of hope and celestial paradise.

Only a few illustrations contain a description, so bringing along all three books would be useful. The exhibit can be enjoyed by all but a familiarity with The Divine Comedy helps in understanding the true caliber of work Dalí produced.

Some say imitation is the greatest form of flattery but, in Dalí’s words, “Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.”

If You Go:

Who: Spanish painter, graphic artist and writer Salvador Dalí is best known as the leader of the surrealist movement. In 1951, the Italian government commissioned Dalí to create a series of illustrations that depict Dante Alighieri’s The Divine Comedy.

What: Salvador Dalí exhibit The Divine Comedy

Where: Miami-Dade College Freedom Tower

600 Biscayne Boulevard

Miami, FL 33132

When: Exhibit runs until January 31, 2009

Tuesday – Friday, noon until 5 p.m. Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Cost: Free

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...