Miami-Dade College brings Dali’s illustrations of hell to life

A riveting exhibit, “The Divine Comedy by Salvador Dalí” takes Dante Alighieri’s poetic depiction of hell, purgatory and paradise and transforms each canto into illustrations of the horror and beauty of life after death.

The 100 watercolor illustrations line the walls of three rooms each corresponding with a specific book in The Divine Comedy: Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso. Each image gives a similar explanation of Dante’s cantos but with a different view.

In Inferno, grotesque interpretations of hell line red and white walls, exuding the painful and suffering consequences of sin.

Purgatorio radiates in yellow, depicting the challenge of souls to face their sins and gradually ascend to heaven. This section displays the interesting interpretation Dalí makes of Dante the Pilgrim. The artist takes his famous surreal image of sexual persecution, masturbation and Freudian logic “The Great Masturbator” and includes similar qualities in his portrayal of Dante in Purgatory.

The final sequence of images, placed on sky blue walls, evokes the happiness and calm of Paradiso. The exhibit ends on a high note of hope and celestial paradise.

Only a few illustrations contain a description, so bringing along all three books would be useful. The exhibit can be enjoyed by all but a familiarity with The Divine Comedy helps in understanding the true caliber of work Dalí produced.

Some say imitation is the greatest form of flattery but, in Dalí’s words, “Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.”

If You Go:

Who: Spanish painter, graphic artist and writer Salvador Dalí is best known as the leader of the surrealist movement. In 1951, the Italian government commissioned Dalí to create a series of illustrations that depict Dante Alighieri’s The Divine Comedy.

What: Salvador Dalí exhibit The Divine Comedy

Where: Miami-Dade College Freedom Tower

600 Biscayne Boulevard

Miami, FL 33132

When: Exhibit runs until January 31, 2009

Tuesday – Friday, noon until 5 p.m. Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Cost: Free

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...