Animal Collective’s new album elegant, focused

Animal Collective’s ninth studio release, Merriweather Post Pavilion, triumphantly achieves melodic and artful pop elegance through the tinkering of Geologist (Brian Weitz) and the voices, guitars and drums of Avey Tare (David Portner) and Panda Bear (Noah Lennox). Anticipated greatly within the indie realm, leaked tracks and live versions of songs had been widely listened to via YouTube, torrents, and blogs preceding the release of the album. Luckily, the anticipation was merited.

Merriweather feels more focused and purposeful than any previous release from the band, though the songs are still distinctively Animal Collective – vocals that are often indecipherable, harmonies thrown into a electronically psychedelic wonderland and densely crafted songs with a plethora of sounds. It is as though Animal Collective took the best aspects from their greatest songs, made them better, remixed the tracks, and released an album.

Opener “In The Flowers” begins with various dabbles in sound and breezy vocals before ascending into a euphoric chorus. The second track, “My Girls,” starts with a repetitive synthesized sequence, eventually leading into harmonious vocals, handclaps and other odd sounds sprinkled across the electronic background. The Afro-pop influenced “Brother Sport” is another highlight, a celebration of sorts repeating the anthem to “open up your throat.”

Though Merriweather will likely end up on many “Best Of” lists at the end of 2009, it also marks some of the most intriguing music being made in our generation, period.

Rating: 4/4 stars

Lauren Shepherd

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...