‘Campaign architect’ Karl Rove speaks to students about Gitmo, presidential legacy

Karl Rove spoke to the University of Miami community this past Thursday.  MEGAN TERILLI // HURRICANE STAFF.

Karl Rove spoke to the University of Miami community this past Thursday. MEGAN TERILLI // HURRICANE STAFF.

Karl Rove, one-time deputy chief of staff to former President George W. Bush, spoke to a jam-packed Storer Auditorium at the University of Miami Thursday afternoon.

After a brief opening speech, Rove transformed the event into an open forum during which audience members could ask him a question or engage him in a debate.

The “campaign architect,” as he is commonly called, built a case against President Barack Obama’s order to close Guantanamo, an overseas CIA detention center where terrorists and other “enemy combatants” are held. Obama’s order could enable terrorists to be tried in U.S. courts, to be given undeserved rights afforded American citizens and could cause damaging long-term effects, Rove said.

“One year from now, Gitmo won’t be closed,” Rove said. “If it is, there will be an uproar in the U.S. about where to put these people.”

Interrogation tactics used by the CIA during Bush’s term in office were not torturous, Rove said, but he did not deny that the CIA strongly pressed terrorists for vital information.

“You bet we squeeze them for information,” Rove said. “If we hadn’t, those same terrorists could have executed their plans to kill, and [people]would be asking why Bush didn’t protect American soldiers’ lives.”

A heated exchange erupted between Rove and senior Corey Ciorciari, a longtime intern for the Obama campaign. Cioriciari asked about the ethics of using “fear and deception” as governing tactics.

Rove called Ciorciari’s accusation “cynical and callous.”

“Was it creating fear when we got reports that Saddam Hussein stores secret supplies for chemical weapons, that he had a willingness to use destruction, that he was developing and seeking weapons – that he was an imminent threat to the U.S.?” Rove asked. “These are not quotes by Bush. They’re quotes by Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Kerry.”

A loud applause erupted from the audience, but Ciorciari was not convinced.

“I think it’s nice he came [to speak]after Obama’s inauguration… It’s a testament to how much this country rejected the last eight years,” Ciorciari later told The Miami Hurricane. “What really struck me is his lack of acknowledgment and disappointment. He never owned up to [the administration’s]mistakes. I wish, in retrospect, that I could have said a lot more.”

Other students said they appreciated Rove’s honesty.

“I loved it; he was very informative and very honest about his opinions,” said Sgt. Agbeyegbe Jolomi, a junior who served in Iraq for one year. “I’m happy I came to this event.”

Bush was deeply changed by the Sept. 11 attacks, Rove said, and keeps the badge of a firefighter killed during the rescue effort in his pocket at all times as a constant reminder of his “guiding responsibility to keep the country safe.”

“I know that 9/11 has receded from some people’s minds, but I will tell you it hasn’t left George W. Bush’s mind,” Rove said.

A heartfelt story about Bush’s compassion for the American people and his devastated reaction upon first visiting Ground Zero left many in tears.

“It gave us a new perspective on the Bush administration and the decisions they made,” senior Andrea Whalen said. “If you look at the facts, Bush got an unfair rap. He made a lot of really tough decisions for the best interest of the nation. It was really great when [Rove] finally set the record straight.”

Rove still encouraged attendees to support the new president, stating that he “wishes Obama success.”

“It was fantastic, more than what I expected,” said Remy Flor, a junior and fan of Rove’s. “To see him in the flesh was great, and the presentation reinforced my views.”

Sarah B. Pilchick contributed to this article.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

115 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “‘Campaign architect’ Karl Rove speaks to students about Gitmo, presidential legacy”

1. bill flynn says:

Wow, the vitriol & personal attacks from the The Messiah’s worshipers are unflattering. Seems the leftist indoctrination at Our Universities has only taught you what to think (ie republicans & conservatives are evil) Yet not one of you can debate & think for yourself without this child-like boorish ranting. By the way….being a critic of President Barak Hussian Obama does not make one a racist. The only racist here was the one claiming racism when it was simple dissent. shame on you for acting like AP Obama did the last 2 plus years.

2. homer says:

Rove is perhaps the most disgusting person from the Bush/Cheney administration. I wonder how much money he was paid to flap his lips at the University?

3. Adam says:

It’s great that The University actually took the time to tell the student population about Rove coming to campus! I would have loved to see him speak… Thanks UM!

4. dday says:

If I were responsible for the deaths of 3,000 people I’d be thinking about it a lot too.

5. Concerned Citizen says:

Why isn’t Karl Rove in prison?

6. Elliot Lazarus says:

Thank you for reporting this story the way a Journalist should.

It makes me proud that the University Newspaper can cover something as important as this without being biased as the Main Stream Media often is.

There is hope for the future in media…if the facts are reported and the people then decide.

Elliot Lazarus
    UM School of Communications 1968

7. Thomas Ekali says:

How can anyone in their right senses wish that President Obama fail. How can anyone in their right frame of mind say that the President of the US wants to “eradicate the constitution,our freedom,our rights,&our moral fabric”. People with such ideas either do not or have never seen or read the US constitution, or are simply racist. Yes,I hear echos of the same bigotry and twisted logic that some Americans employed to subdue and subjugate their fellow citizens for centuries.
    Americans should go back and read, and re-read the constitution and make an effort to understand what it contains therein. Don’t allow this country to recede to the era when what was practiced was not what was contained in the constitution.

8. Tom Warner says:

Let’s face facts on Obama. He is a trial lawyer, the worst kind of politican. They have the same qualities and skill set as used car salesmen and more importantly, professional confidence men.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...