Basketball

Women’s basketball winless in ACC play

CHALLENGE: Riquna Williams goes for a layup against Clemson. Miami lost to Clemson 74-68.  WELLINGTON GUZMAN // Hurricane Staff.

CHALLENGE: Riquna Williams goes for a layup against Clemson. Miami lost to Clemson 74-68. WELLINGTON GUZMAN // Hurricane Staff.

Things haven’t quite panned out the way the University of Miami women’s basketball team had hoped so far this season.

After starting out strong with a 10-4 record through non-conference play, the Hurricanes have dropped four straight pivotal ACC games and have yet to clinch their first ACC victory.

This past Sunday the Canes fell to the Boston College Eagles (15-4, 3-1), 62-54. Miami struggled from beyond the arc, making just 1 of 15 3-pointers attempted. Freshman guard Riquna Williams led UM with 13 points.

Last Monday the Hurricanes had an opportunity to defeat No. 22 Georgia Tech, but gave up their halftime lead, eventually losing 68-50. Miami shot just 7 of 28 from the field in the second half and missed 11 free throws. This season, UM is the worst free-throw shooting team in the ACC at 60 percent.

Freshman forward Shenise Johnson has shown her all-around ability as the team leader in scoring with 12.3 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. Johnson is 21st in scoring and 10th in rebounding in the ACC. Johnson is also averaging a solid 4.2 assists and three steals per game. She shoots a team-best 82 percent from the charity strip.

Second to Johnson, senior guard LaToya Cunningham is averaging 8.4 points per game and shoots a team-best .355 from the 3-point line.

Unfortunately, Cunningham’s success behind the arc hasn’t carried over to the rest of the team. The Canes have been struggling from long range this season, shooting second-to-last in the ACC with .271.

The high point of the season for the Hurricanes has been winning the UM Thanksgiving Tournament against Austin Peay and Santa Clara.

Even though Miami (10-8, 0-4) is winless in the ACC, the immediate schedule looks to favor the Hurricanes. UM plays host to North Carolina State (8-10, 0-3) tonight and will look for revenge against Georgia Tech (13-4, 1-2) next Thursday.

Lelan LeDoux

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...