Basketball

Women’s basketball winless in ACC play

CHALLENGE: Riquna Williams goes for a layup against Clemson. Miami lost to Clemson 74-68.  WELLINGTON GUZMAN // Hurricane Staff.

CHALLENGE: Riquna Williams goes for a layup against Clemson. Miami lost to Clemson 74-68. WELLINGTON GUZMAN // Hurricane Staff.

Things haven’t quite panned out the way the University of Miami women’s basketball team had hoped so far this season.

After starting out strong with a 10-4 record through non-conference play, the Hurricanes have dropped four straight pivotal ACC games and have yet to clinch their first ACC victory.

This past Sunday the Canes fell to the Boston College Eagles (15-4, 3-1), 62-54. Miami struggled from beyond the arc, making just 1 of 15 3-pointers attempted. Freshman guard Riquna Williams led UM with 13 points.

Last Monday the Hurricanes had an opportunity to defeat No. 22 Georgia Tech, but gave up their halftime lead, eventually losing 68-50. Miami shot just 7 of 28 from the field in the second half and missed 11 free throws. This season, UM is the worst free-throw shooting team in the ACC at 60 percent.

Freshman forward Shenise Johnson has shown her all-around ability as the team leader in scoring with 12.3 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. Johnson is 21st in scoring and 10th in rebounding in the ACC. Johnson is also averaging a solid 4.2 assists and three steals per game. She shoots a team-best 82 percent from the charity strip.

Second to Johnson, senior guard LaToya Cunningham is averaging 8.4 points per game and shoots a team-best .355 from the 3-point line.

Unfortunately, Cunningham’s success behind the arc hasn’t carried over to the rest of the team. The Canes have been struggling from long range this season, shooting second-to-last in the ACC with .271.

The high point of the season for the Hurricanes has been winning the UM Thanksgiving Tournament against Austin Peay and Santa Clara.

Even though Miami (10-8, 0-4) is winless in the ACC, the immediate schedule looks to favor the Hurricanes. UM plays host to North Carolina State (8-10, 0-3) tonight and will look for revenge against Georgia Tech (13-4, 1-2) next Thursday.

Lelan LeDoux

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...