Sports Briefs

BASEBALL

The University of Miami baseball team earned its highest preseason ranking as the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association slated the Hurricanes at No. 12 nationally.

In two other polls, the Canes are ranked No. 18 and No. 23.

TENNIS

The University of Miami men’s and women’s tennis programs open their seasons ranked No. 17 and No. 13, respectively.

For the men, senior All-American Daniel Vallverdu enters the season as the No. 17-ranked singles player in the nation. As for the women, sophomore Julia Cohen enters the season ranked as the No. 8 singles player in the nation, while sophomore Bianca Eichkorn enters the season ranked No. 20. Junior All-American Laura comes into the season ranked as No. 114, but she played at the No. 1 position for the team last season and her ranking is a reflection of her being unable to perform in the fall, due to an injury.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Miami nabbed 12 of 13 top times and scores en route to a 166-73 victory against Central Connecticut State University on Saturday at the Norman A. Whitten University Center Pool.

Freshman Kelci Bryant won the one-meter diving event after beating out junior All-American and NCAA champion Brittany Viola. Viola took first in the three-meter springboard.

TRACK/FIELD

Senior transfer Murielle Ahoure was named the ACC’s Indoor Track and Field Co-Performer of the Week.

Ahoure broke Lauryn Williams’s 60-meter dash record with a first-place finish of 7.17 at last week’s Kentucky Invitational. Her performance guaranteed her a spot in the NCAA Indoor National Championships in College Station, Texas, which take place on March 13 and 14.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...