Sports Briefs

BASEBALL

The University of Miami baseball team earned its highest preseason ranking as the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association slated the Hurricanes at No. 12 nationally.

In two other polls, the Canes are ranked No. 18 and No. 23.

TENNIS

The University of Miami men’s and women’s tennis programs open their seasons ranked No. 17 and No. 13, respectively.

For the men, senior All-American Daniel Vallverdu enters the season as the No. 17-ranked singles player in the nation. As for the women, sophomore Julia Cohen enters the season ranked as the No. 8 singles player in the nation, while sophomore Bianca Eichkorn enters the season ranked No. 20. Junior All-American Laura comes into the season ranked as No. 114, but she played at the No. 1 position for the team last season and her ranking is a reflection of her being unable to perform in the fall, due to an injury.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Miami nabbed 12 of 13 top times and scores en route to a 166-73 victory against Central Connecticut State University on Saturday at the Norman A. Whitten University Center Pool.

Freshman Kelci Bryant won the one-meter diving event after beating out junior All-American and NCAA champion Brittany Viola. Viola took first in the three-meter springboard.

TRACK/FIELD

Senior transfer Murielle Ahoure was named the ACC’s Indoor Track and Field Co-Performer of the Week.

Ahoure broke Lauryn Williams’s 60-meter dash record with a first-place finish of 7.17 at last week’s Kentucky Invitational. Her performance guaranteed her a spot in the NCAA Indoor National Championships in College Station, Texas, which take place on March 13 and 14.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...