Sports Briefs

BASEBALL

The University of Miami baseball team earned its highest preseason ranking as the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association slated the Hurricanes at No. 12 nationally.

In two other polls, the Canes are ranked No. 18 and No. 23.

TENNIS

The University of Miami men’s and women’s tennis programs open their seasons ranked No. 17 and No. 13, respectively.

For the men, senior All-American Daniel Vallverdu enters the season as the No. 17-ranked singles player in the nation. As for the women, sophomore Julia Cohen enters the season ranked as the No. 8 singles player in the nation, while sophomore Bianca Eichkorn enters the season ranked No. 20. Junior All-American Laura comes into the season ranked as No. 114, but she played at the No. 1 position for the team last season and her ranking is a reflection of her being unable to perform in the fall, due to an injury.

SWIMMING/DIVING

Miami nabbed 12 of 13 top times and scores en route to a 166-73 victory against Central Connecticut State University on Saturday at the Norman A. Whitten University Center Pool.

Freshman Kelci Bryant won the one-meter diving event after beating out junior All-American and NCAA champion Brittany Viola. Viola took first in the three-meter springboard.

TRACK/FIELD

Senior transfer Murielle Ahoure was named the ACC’s Indoor Track and Field Co-Performer of the Week.

Ahoure broke Lauryn Williams’s 60-meter dash record with a first-place finish of 7.17 at last week’s Kentucky Invitational. Her performance guaranteed her a spot in the NCAA Indoor National Championships in College Station, Texas, which take place on March 13 and 14.

About Author

Christina De Nicola Editor In Chief

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...