Alan Dershowitz makes case for Israel at Law School

World-renowned lawyer and vehement defender of Israel Alan Dershowitz spoke to an enthusiastic crowd in an “informal conversation” held on Wednesday in the University of Miami School of Law student lounge.

Sponsored by the Jewish Collegiate Learning Exchange, the event was moderated by Rabbi Shlomo Sprung, who estimated that around 150 students and interested community members attended.

Dershowitz, one of Israel’s most passionate and high-profile supporters, is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School and served as an appellate advisor to O.J. Simpson’s defense team. He is also a respected political commentator and authority on the Arab-Israeli conflict, which was the overarching topic of Wednesday’s appearance.

Encouraging “belligerent” questions from audience members, Dershowitz was funny, candid and well-informed, even playfully imploring one attendee not to “hide behind [his]yarmulke” during a debate over Jewish narrative. He attributed Israel’s status as the perennial underdog to his defense of Israel, which he supports “not in spite of, but because of his commitment to human rights.” He slammed Hamas’s double standard of claiming victim status yet still utilizing Palestinian civilians as human shields, citing a Hamas legislator who bragged of that tactic.

“Hamas is the same organization that has strapped bombs on 12-year-old children,” said Dershowitz, who referred to that controversial tactic as its “dead baby strategy.”

He was also highly critical of “lefty radicals,” whose recent high-profile protests against Israel in major world cities were likened to the Nuremburg rallies.

“[They] never marched when Russia killed 30,000 civilians in Chechnya… No one cried ‘war crime,’” Dershowitz said. “The concept of ‘war crime’ is reserved solely for Israel” and the worst tragedies, such as Rwanda, he continued. Dershowitz also condemned former president Jimmy Carter, Archbishop Desmond Tutu – who he called a “bigot and anti-Semite” – and the United Nations, which he accused of “holding Israel to a higher standard.”

Formerly an advisor for President Bill Clinton and former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, Dershowitz has high hopes for President Obama, who, prior to his inauguration, stated that the United States’ support of Israel will not falter. However, despite his criticism of Israel’s occupation and settlement of the Palestinian, Dershowitz strongly believes in Israel’s right to defend itself against attack.

“One of the things we learned from the Holocaust is that Israel’s going to have to do it on its own,” he said.

Dershowitz urged the audience to continue making the case for Israel.

“Do not be embarrassed about defending Israel,” he said. “Israel is in the right.”

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Alan Dershowitz makes case for Israel at Law School”

1. scott says:

well, since my fellow commenters seem to be against Israeli “occupation”, why don’t you guys go find some native americans and give your house to them. Oh yeah, I forgot, only Israel is held to this standard.

2. G says:

UM really needs to bring in some other viewpoints. I think the students are being cheated and not being prepared for the real world when the university provides such one sided viewpoints in teh speakers it invites and classes it teaches. It’s kinda sad for a university of UM’s size.

3. G says:

Well where was Derschowitz and his right wing fox news fascist pro Israel followers when 1/3 of the entire TWA pygmie population was exterminated during one of the recent holocausts in Central Africa? Why weren’t they protesting? One human life is equal to every other human life. Israel and Palestine need to become one country where each life is valued equally, like in the U.S. An international force will be needed to enforce a peace and maybe talking about politics should be banned by all peoples in Palestine/Israel like it is in Rwanda because people cant handle it.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...