Basketball

Tar Heels quiet Canes, win 82-65

Senior forward Tyler Hansbrough scored a game-high 24 points as the fifth-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels defeated the University of Miami, 82-65, Saturday night in Chapel Hill, N.C.

The Tar Heels (16-2, 2-2) outscored the Hurricanes 46-33 in the second half and shot 56.3 percent from three-point range to expand on a four-point halftime lead.

With 7:18 left in the first half, UM held a nine-point lead before UNC went on a 13-0 run to end the period.

Senior guard Jack McClinton led the Canes with 21 points on 9-of-20 shooting and turned the ball over five times.

Tar Heel junior guard Wayne Ellington helped break the game open by scoring all 23 of his points in the final 20 minutes.

Miami (13-4, 2-2) returns home to face rival Florida State (15-3, 2-1) at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...