UM student among US Airways plane crash survivors

A University of Miami student was among the 155 passengers to survive the crash of US Airways Flight 1549 into the Hudson River yesterday.

“Concerning yesterday’s jet crash in New York’s Hudson River—one of our students was on that plane,” President Donna E. Shalala wrote in an e-mail to the university community this afternoon. “He will graduate in May because he had an angel on his wing and a courageous pilot in the cockpit, and the New York/New Jersey community had an emergency plan that worked.”

The jet’s pilot, Chesley B. Sullenberger III, skillfully ditched the aircraft into the Hudson River, between New York and New Jersey, after losing engine power due to what is believed to be a large flock of birds that flew into the aircraft’s engines upon takeoff from LaGuardia Airport. All passengers and crew members survived the crash, which is now known to many as the “miracle on the Hudson.”

The UM student and survivor is unavailable for comment at this time, a university official said.

“I have been in contact with the student but cannot release the name,” President Shalala wrote in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

About Author

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

The Miami Hurricanes will make the short trip to Swanson Stadium in Fort Myers, Fla., for a midweek ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...