Football

Stein: Transfer of Robert Marve provides for change in direction of offense

Robert Marve

A much anticipated decision by redshirt freshman quarterback Robert Marve to transfer from the University of Miami has been confirmed by the Miami Athletic Department.

Head coach Randy Shannon spoke of the decision Tuesday morning on 560 WQAM and Marve was reported as declaring that he could not play for Shannon.

Marve, who started 11 games but was suspended for the other 2, has been granted a release from his scholarship that reportedly will allow him to transfer to another Division 1-A team. Marve has three years of eligibility left.

The terms of the release reportedly restrict Marve from transferring to any school in the state of Florida, or any team that competes in the ACC or SEC.

Marve’s options now include transferring to another Division 1-A program and sitting out a year, transferring to a Division 1-AA program and playing the remaining three years without sitting, or playing at a Junior College for a season and then play the remaining two at the Division 1-A program of his choice.

The clear winner of the situation is freshman quarterback Jacory Harris, who Shannon has declared to be the starting quarterback going into the spring; for the first time in three seasons there will be no open competition for the spot beginning in the spring.

As for Marve’s future, rumors have swirled about transfers to in-state programs USF and Florida and SEC schools LSU and Tennessee. However, the terms of release would seem to prevent any of these rumors from coming to fruition.

Throughout the season, I argued that the dual-quarterback system worked for the ‘Canes. Neither was a complete player, and the combination usually worked to get the hot hand on the field at the end of the game.

However, it is apparent that for the team to move forward a clear vision has to emerge. That means a clear starter.

It would seem, at least to me, that Nix and Marve were a package deal. Shannon’s new vision calls for a new coordinator, which meant that both had to go.

It is unfortunate that Marve did not work out as the leader of the ‘Canes, but also necessary for one player to emerge as the leader.

Harris looks to be the starter next season, and Taylor Cook, Cannon Smith and incoming freshman A.J. Highsmith will challenge for the backup role.

Dan Stein

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Stein: Transfer of Robert Marve provides for change in direction of offense”

1. jeremiah says:

Marve has proven himself to not be a team player skipping classes when times are tough not following through with his grades, the temper tantrum that lead to his first suspension. awesome arm, good running, all the tools but you have to have the mental stability to push through tough times and that obviously didn’t happen. i think it was a great move some kids just don’t have the mental toughness to succeed, try failing a few times and relearnng how to win without the ego. go canes!!

2. Grapeape says:

From your article…..

Your sentence speaks volumes! What happen to trying out for the job…seems fishy!

3. RICK says:

Well i hope thug U gets it done..this season..and i hope 1 of many QBs get shot at job. HARRIS is starter for now..but unless shannon opens game up, it will be same old stuff..but maybe U will get lucky amd find a kid from the ranks.that can win a bunch of games..and as far as thug U is concerned, its time for changes all a round..start at top, and change the program..to hard nose football, kids will do their jobs with out all the sit downs..and they can be them selfs..its no fun, without doing something wrong..so who cares..let them play, and coach team..into winner..instead of winers…let them loose and let them beat the other guy, with more points on board. thats the U, and it will always be3 that way..

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...