Baseball

Baseball team makes preseason poll

After making it to the College World Series this past summer for the 11th time in 15 years under head coach Jim Morris, Collegiate Baseball Newspaper ranked the University of Miami baseball team 18th in its preseason poll.

Three other Atlantic Coast Conference teams made the Top 20: second-ranked North Carolina, seventh-ranked Florida State and 12th-ranked Georgia Tech. Louisiana State will begin the season at No. 1.

Eight Hurricanes were drafted in June’s amateur draft, but 19 players return from last year’s squad that finished 53-11, including Preseason All-Americans in sophomore left-hander Chris Hernandez, junior shortstop Ryan Jackson and junior right-hander Kyle Bellamy.

Miami begins its season Feb. 20 against Rutgers at newly-renovated Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...