Baseball

Baseball team makes preseason poll

After making it to the College World Series this past summer for the 11th time in 15 years under head coach Jim Morris, Collegiate Baseball Newspaper ranked the University of Miami baseball team 18th in its preseason poll.

Three other Atlantic Coast Conference teams made the Top 20: second-ranked North Carolina, seventh-ranked Florida State and 12th-ranked Georgia Tech. Louisiana State will begin the season at No. 1.

Eight Hurricanes were drafted in June’s amateur draft, but 19 players return from last year’s squad that finished 53-11, including Preseason All-Americans in sophomore left-hander Chris Hernandez, junior shortstop Ryan Jackson and junior right-hander Kyle Bellamy.

Miami begins its season Feb. 20 against Rutgers at newly-renovated Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...