Concert Review: Jingle Ball

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2536323&show_title=0&show_byline=0″ height=”263″ width=”351″ allowfullscreen=”true” /]

The Miami Hurricane sat down with actor and musician Jesse McCartney during Y-100's 2008 Jingle Ball concert

Pop music’s most celebrated crooners performed their chart-topping hits at Y-100’s annual Jingle Ball Saturday night at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla.

Although Rihanna headlined the show and rules the music scene with songs like “Rehab,” it was rock band Fall Out Boy that had the more than 12,000 tweens and their parents jumping up and down in their seats.

Besides starting the wave and talking about “Twilight” actor Robert Pattinson, bassist Pete Wentz and company played songs from all five of their albums, including their new single “I Don’t Care.”

Never before have lead vocalist Patrick Stump and the boys sounded as good at a South Florida concert. Wentz and guitarist Joe Trohman’s twirls and tricks energized the crowd.

To finish their rocking set, Wentz, who recently became a father, continued his custom of jumping into girls’ clawing arms during the song “Saturday.”

Katy Perry came as another surprise on the evening.

After watching several live performances on television in which her voice sounded mediocre at best, Perry, clad in a Santa-inspired dress, cruised through hits “I Kissed a Girl” and “Hot N Cold” with the help of a singing audience.

But it was her guitar playing on the ballad “Thinking of You” as well as her genuine nerves and rambling in between songs that showed an endearing side to the provocative singer.

Newcomer Lady Gaga also impressed, singing “Just Dance” and a mixture of other songs off her debut album, The Fame, while being carried by her backup dancers in a Material Girl-like fashion.

Baby-faced Jesse McCartney and two backup singers showed off his fresh R&B sound. Girls of all ages squealed their lungs out as he sang hits such as “Leavin'” and “Beautiful Soul.”

The “warm-up” acts- Kevin Rudolf, The Veronicas and The Academy Is– performed radio-friendly fare to mixed results. Shontelle, meanwhile, proved that she could join fellow Barbados native, Rihanna, on the charts in the future.

For all of the hype regarding the prince and princess duo in pop, Rihanna and Chris Brown, there seemed to be something missing.

Her fusion of musical genres didn’t showcase an outstanding voice, yet Rihanna’s onstage persona kept her in a league of her own.

Rumored boyfriend, Chris Brown, performed “Forever” during the set and the two sang a memorable and sensual duet of “Umbrella” to wrap up the show.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...