Football

Hurricanes to play Cal in the Emerald Bowl

The University of Miami has accepted an invitation to appear in the Emerald Bowl against Cal, marking the first bowl trip for the school’s football team since 2006.

“On behalf of the entire University of Miami and our Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, we are looking forward to participating in this year’s Emerald Bowl,” UM Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Kirby Hocutt said. “I want to thank Gary Cavalli and their selection committee for picking the Miami Hurricanes.”

The Emerald Bowl will take place on Dec. 27, the only bowl game of the day, in San Francisco’s AT&T Park. It’s the first time Miami has played in this bowl game, founded in 2002, and the 34th bowl appearance in school history.

“We’re very excited that the Emerald Bowl has selected the University of Miami to play in its game in San Francisco,” UM head coach Randy Shannon said in a press release. “This will be a great bowl game between two quality teams from two of the best conferences in the country. It’s a rare and exciting matchup. It’s going to be a unique experience for our players and the entire Hurricane family since Miami doesn’t play in California very often. We’re really looking forward to a great bowl experience.”

The game will mark the fourth meeting between Miami (7-5, 4-4) and Cal (8-4, 6-3), with Miami leading the all-time series 2-1. Miami won the last match-up, a 52-24 win at Berkeley. The last time Miami played in the state of California, the Hurricanes crushed the Nebraska Cornhuskers 37-14 to win their fifth national championship.

To buy tickets to the game, visit HurricaneSports.com or call 1-800-GO-CANES.

Where is AT&T Park?
View Larger Map

Matthew Bunch