Student Activities Center to be delayed one year; Rathskeller to remain open during that time

FREEZE: An artist's rendering of the proposed Student Activity Center. Due to the credit crisis, construction on the building will be halted one year.

Construction on the new Student Activity Center is being delayed one year due to the current “credit crisis,” meaning the university’s Rathskeller will remain open until that time, according to vice president for Student Affairs Patricia A. Whitely.

In an e-mail sent out by university president Donna E. Shalala last week, it was announced that construction projects that weren’t under way would be delayed and reviewed, and the SAC falls into that category.

In related news, the renovation of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center will not be affected by the construction freeze and will go on as planned.

Stay with The Miami Hurricane as this story develops.

Matthew Bunch

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...