Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Trio earn All-ACC Honors

Freshman linebacker Sean Spence was named ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Spence finished third on the team with 62 total tackles and led all Hurricane linebackers with 7.5 tackles for a loss.

Sophomore kicker/punter Matt Bosher earned second team All-ACC accolades, while senior safety Anthony Reddick received an honorable mention.

Bosher connected on 17-of-19 field goals and ranked third in the ACC with an 89.5 field goal percentage this season. He was also a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award, given to the nation’s top kicker.

Reddick led Miami with 48 total tackles and 30 solo tackles against ACC competition. He started in 11 of 12 games for a secondary that ranked 14th nationally in pass defense.

VOLLEYBALL

Carico and Lantagne Welch win top ACC awards

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was selected as the ACC Freshman of the Year, while eighth year head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch collected the ACC Coach of the Year award.

Carico, senior middle blocker Angelica Ellis and junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew were all selected to the All-ACC Second Team, from a Hurricane team that finished tied for third place in the ACC with Clemson.

The three selections marked the most for a UM volleyball team since 2002’s All-Big East representatives Marcela Gamarra, Mallorey James and Valeria Tipiana.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...