Shalala speaks on Obama’s cabinet selections

THE MIAMI HURRICANE: With the new cabinet taking shape and Obama’s previous opponent now the secretary of State, do you think it’s just a coincidence that the secretary position has all been women for the past two presidents and now with President-elect Barack Obama?
PRESIDENT DONNA E. SHALALA: Yes.

TMH: How do you think Hillary Clinton’s diplomatic experience as a former first lady will help her as secretary of State?
DS: What will help her is her high intelligence, government policy making experience and diplomatic skills.

TMH: What do you think about Obama keeping Robert Gates, the current secretary of Defense under President George W. Bush, as secretary of Defense?
DS: He is first rate (and a former college president).

TMH: What do you think Obama’s presidency will do for higher education or what would you like him to do?
DS: I’d like him to provide more financial aid for our students and double the NIH and NSF budgets.

TMH: Going into his presidency in 2009, what do you think Obama’s number one concern/priority will or should be?
DS: The economy.

TMH: Do you have any type of relationship with President-elect Obama?
DS: Yes.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Shalala speaks on Obama’s cabinet selections”

1. Barry says:

This is the worst, least comprehensive interview I’ve ever read.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...