Shalala speaks on Obama’s cabinet selections

THE MIAMI HURRICANE: With the new cabinet taking shape and Obama’s previous opponent now the secretary of State, do you think it’s just a coincidence that the secretary position has all been women for the past two presidents and now with President-elect Barack Obama?
PRESIDENT DONNA E. SHALALA: Yes.

TMH: How do you think Hillary Clinton’s diplomatic experience as a former first lady will help her as secretary of State?
DS: What will help her is her high intelligence, government policy making experience and diplomatic skills.

TMH: What do you think about Obama keeping Robert Gates, the current secretary of Defense under President George W. Bush, as secretary of Defense?
DS: He is first rate (and a former college president).

TMH: What do you think Obama’s presidency will do for higher education or what would you like him to do?
DS: I’d like him to provide more financial aid for our students and double the NIH and NSF budgets.

TMH: Going into his presidency in 2009, what do you think Obama’s number one concern/priority will or should be?
DS: The economy.

TMH: Do you have any type of relationship with President-elect Obama?
DS: Yes.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...