Music’s year in review

From left to right: Amy Winehouse, Brandon Flowers (The Killers), Lil Wayne, T.I., Britney Spears

2008 has been a big year in more ways than one. From a brand new president to an economic downfall worse than Mini-Me’s sex tape, it’s certainly been a year of change. And the music industry has followed suit; torrent sites have replaced record stores and music blogs have nearly wiped out the job title of “music reporter.”

With these changes, artists have been hard at work in coming up with new ideas and innovative approaches to keep listeners entertained. So before we can begin a happy and healthy 2009, we should look back at the biggest news of the past year.

You might hate him more than the kids who chopped up that crocodile on campus, but there are over 2.5 million people who think Lil’ Wayne is the best human being… period. From 15-year-old girls in West Palm Beach to inmates in Baton Rouge, Wayne scored fans from literally every walk of life with Tha Carter III.

Just a year after her multi-platinum selling album Back to Black hit record stores, Amy Winehouse lost her mind. She won four Grammy Awards for the effort, but when she was tapped to sing the James Bond theme for Quantum of Solace she dropped out because her longtime collaborator Mark Ronson apparently couldn’t work with her. She might be cooking up some new music with other producers, but all the drugs and depression might not be the formula that led to the genius of Back to Black.

The most overused and over-written-about sound effect in music, the vocoder, took over the pop charts, the hip-hop charts and Kanye West’s mind.

In short, “Paper Planes” (and Kid Cudi’s “Day ‘N Nite”) was an awesomely catchy and fun song…in March. With their trippy videos and funny, catchy jams, MGMT is quickly becoming the coolest band since The Beatles. Girl Talk released another album…for free. The Killers and John Legend released their third albums – both of which are huge fan disappointments. Travis Barker and DJ AM released a killer mixtape of mash-ups, and were the only two who narrowly escaped death on a plane crash. Britney’s back! T.I. scored two mega-smash singles, even though he said “swagger of a college kid” on a song. And finally, newcomers like Shwayze, Vampire Weekend, James Pants, Estelle and The Black Kids all released solid albums that show promise for future acclaim.

It’s been a wild ride, and 2009 will likely be wilder. From Eminem’s (don’t hold your breath) pending return to the demise of all record stores and the likely capitalization of free Internet music, it’s going to be a good year.

But wait! There’s more! Below is a winter break playlist:

1. Santogold & Jay-Z – “Brooklyn Go Hard”
2. Chester French & Common – “What A World”
3. Jim Jones & MGMT – “Electric Feel Remix”
4. Pase Rock – “Get Money Kids”
5. Shitake Monkey – “The Friend Zone”
6. U-N-I – “Hollywood Hiatus”
7. Colin Munroe & Mickey Factz – “One More Chance”
8. Chromeo – “Bonafide Lovin'”
9. The Knux – “Cappuccino”
10. Blink 182 – “All the Small Things”

About Author

Dan Buyanovsky Senior Writer

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...