Begin 2009 with a bang

While New Yorkers freeze waiting to see the New Year’s ball drop in Times Square, those in Miami party poolside. A tropical location, A-list attendees, celebrity hosts and an upbeat atmosphere are all key ingredients in creating a night to remember. Undoubtedly, Miami is the place to be on New Year’s Eve.

Junior Eric Wasserman, co-founder of W.E. Party, explains, “The atmosphere in Miami during New Year’s is unbelievable. People from all over the country and the world come…to celebrate the new year, not only because of where Miami is but what it stands for. Miami is a place where people let loose and everything goes.”

With such a diverse group of partygoers, the New Year’s celebration in Miami will definitely prove interesting. Of New Year’s 2009, Wasserman states, “This New Year’s will be even better…Heathrow [7th and Washington], which opened up this summer has been shipping in big name DJs throughout the year and is sure to have a great party. LIV, located at the Fontainebleau, is also another place which will be packed, although it will be a little more pricey than Heathrow. As always people will be able to go to numerous hotel pool parties as it’s always great to be partying outside.”

If dancing the night away in South Beach is not quite your style, Miami still presents many alternatives. Bayfront Park’s New Year’s Eve is the largest free party in South Florida. The festivities include a concert performance (featuring the Latin Grammy-nominated group Spam All-Stars) and a countdown to midnight with Miami’s own “Big Orange” ball. Starting at 6 p.m., the ball slowly ascends over the course of the celebration, finally reaching the top of the Hotel InterContinental at midnight. The festival concludes with a laser show and fireworks display shot over Biscayne Bay.

The City of Miami Beach New Year’s Eve Celebration also hosts a free fireworks show, which begins at the stroke of midnight. Grab a towel, some champagne, a certain someone to kiss at that magic hour and a good spot on the beach to watch the fireworks. The best viewing location is the shore near Ocean Drive and 8th Street. The fireworks are also viewable from the water. Maybe consider chartering a boat for the night and hosting your very own New Year’s bash.

Club promoter and Miami alumnus Shaun Gold has extensive experience hosting New Year’s Eve parties. This year, he plans to “throw the best party possible at Fontainbleau and enjoy myself as always, as well as reflect on what a great year it has been for me.” Of the atmosphere in Miami, he states, “It’s known around the world for being a major nightlife mecca. The weather is great, the clubs are top notch, and all of the celebrities are here. I couldn’t think of anywhere else to be.”

Regardless of how you spend your New Year’s Eve, put on your party hat and channel the city’s electric spirit. Whether you are dancing in one of South Beach’s hottest clubs or attending a soiree in your hometown, celebrate by ringing in the New Year with true Miami style.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...