US and World News

AFGHANISTAN – The U.S. military and Afghan government reported on Sunday that Afghan forces and their allies killed 17 suspected militants in the Kandahar providence. Taliban commander Mullah Asad was also killed according to a NATO announcement.

ARGENTINA – An ex-Argentine police commander, Mario Ferreyra, killed himself in front of television  cameras. Ferreyra killed himself before he was about to be arrested for alleged human rights violations committed during Argentina’s dictatorships.

PAKISTAN – Pakistan told India that it would not be the first to use nuclear weapons in a conflict. It further proposed a nuclear-free South Asia. Pakistan’s nuclear doctrine does not contain a clause saying it would not be the first to use weapons in a conflict, unlike India’s doctrine.

BELIZE – Leaders from Antigua, Belize and the Bahamas met in a closed-door meeting in Antigua and decided they would push regional banks to give more loans to builders and exporters. They hope it will boost jobs and trade and stop the effects of the economic crisis.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...