US and World News

AFGHANISTAN – The U.S. military and Afghan government reported on Sunday that Afghan forces and their allies killed 17 suspected militants in the Kandahar providence. Taliban commander Mullah Asad was also killed according to a NATO announcement.

ARGENTINA – An ex-Argentine police commander, Mario Ferreyra, killed himself in front of television  cameras. Ferreyra killed himself before he was about to be arrested for alleged human rights violations committed during Argentina’s dictatorships.

PAKISTAN – Pakistan told India that it would not be the first to use nuclear weapons in a conflict. It further proposed a nuclear-free South Asia. Pakistan’s nuclear doctrine does not contain a clause saying it would not be the first to use weapons in a conflict, unlike India’s doctrine.

BELIZE – Leaders from Antigua, Belize and the Bahamas met in a closed-door meeting in Antigua and decided they would push regional banks to give more loans to builders and exporters. They hope it will boost jobs and trade and stop the effects of the economic crisis.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...