This is a free-of-thought zone

Andrew Hamner

To make thinkers and leaders is the mantra to which we subscribe here at the Mt. Olympus of Knowledge. Untouched rock enters into the hallowed doors of the university and emerges but a few years later as a diamond, sprinkled liberally with the ethics and thought of countless generations. Glossy brochures reveal these things to all who are deemed worthy of receiving them. For those lucky souls, only one piece of advice can ever truthfully be given: be energetic in your pursuit of knowledge.

For those who recognized the archaic elements both of the phraseology and sentiment expressed above: congratulations on your pragmatism. Who in this day and age still subscribes to the notion that school is anything more than a training ground for entrance into the workforce? Anyone with dreams of getting a liberal education and using it to spend a lifetime lost in thought evidently assumes that the dream of the leisured class continues to haunt the corridors of the collective mind.

Thankfully, most of the fiction regarding thought’s intrinsic importance is recognized to be such. When little Johnny and Susie make their way into the big world of secondary education they, their parents, and their professors know full well those coming four years are an investment in the most literal sense. Money is lost with the expectation that someday relatively soon a career will come to the student that more than repays them in status and cold cash.

With the few detours into debauchery and frivolous majors shrugged off as the inevitable consequences of youthful flightiness, the ideal student will enjoy the favor of their elders throughout the collegiate years until their work is rewarded with a job. What an exciting event that is! Finally the child becomes the adult, secure in the knowledge that they leveraged what talents were most obvious into a job – otherwise known as a calling – that will provide for them until they die.

This is life, ladies and gentlemen of the soon-to-be-educated class. Are there fools who cherish the opportunity to learn and learn without any obligations? Perhaps you should learn that at career development centers, even learning carries with it an obligation. Here you and I learn not to learn, but to get hired. We learn that only our first choice of career can give us food. We learn that knowledge is infinitely inferior to practicality.

Andrew Hamner

Opinion Columnist

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...