Volleyball

The magic number: 3

SWAT: Lane Carico goes up for a serve in a match earlier this season. STEVE ROOT // Hurricane Staff

Ask any player on the University of Miami volleyball team (24-5, 12-5) and they will tell you they are just taking it one match at a time.

Ask me, the beat writer, and I am looking ahead, because if the Canes win their final three games, they will win the ACC title and clinch an automatic spot in NCAA tournament for the first time since 2002.

For a team that was predicted to finish ninth in the ACC preseason polls, this is quite the accomplishment.

The ACC is not considered a premier women’s volleyball conference. The dominant teams play on the West Coast, and the ACC will be fortunate to have more than one representative in the field of 64. A mindboggling eight teams in the top 25 coaches poll hail from the state of California.

Over the course of this season, though, if there is anything that we have learned from this team, it is that anything is possible.

As the Hurricanes approach this crucial stretch in the season, let’s break down their final three games, all of which are on the road.

Miami begins its quest on Thursday on Tobacco Road against UNC (19-9, 13-4) at 7 p.m. Miami defeated North Carolina in four sets last month. The Canes dropped the first set but were able to battle back from adversity and prevail. Since that match, the Tar Heels are sporting an eight-game win streak and are the hottest team in the ACC. They are currently in sole possession of first place and also determine their own fate. UNC is the best defensive team in the ACC, leading the league in digs as a unit.

Friday, the Orange and Green travel to NC State (9-23, 3-14) to take on the Wolfpack at 7 p.m. The Hurricanes are 9-0 against the Wolfpack all-time. NC State is the third worst team in the ACC, but the game could be a trap if UM does not remain focused. NC State ranks last in the ACC in assists, kills and service aces.

Next Wednesday the Canes round out their schedule, facing in-state rival Florida State (19-8, 11-6) in Tallahassee. The last time these two teams played was back in September when Miami edged out the Seminoles in four sets. Redshirt sophomore middle blocker Lici McGee had a career high 11 blocks in that match.

“Every match is going to be incredibly difficult,” head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We have a lot of respect for all of these programs. Right now complete, total focus is on UNC. They are an incredible defensive team. We are going to have to play great volleyball if we want to win.”

Justin Antweil

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...