CD Review: The Cure

Apparently some people aren’t fazed by the number 13.

Four years, several album delays and edits later, The Cure’s 4:13 Dream provides the band’s typical pop record with a bit more angst and experimentation than usual.

Lead vocalist Robert Smith and his bandmates cut down 33 potential album cuts to the unlucky 13 for their 13th studio album. It was originally scheduled to be released as a double disc and the band even released singles on the 13th day of the each month from May to July.

Smith’s occasionally standardized lyrics fill an album that lacks greatest hits like “Boys Don’t Cry” and “Just like Heaven,” but still delivers.

“Underneath the Stars” opens the dream and sets the moody tone that remains for the rest of the disc. It’s a sweet, cheesy and slow-moving ballad with unintelligible lyrics and pretty guitar solos.

Another hit lies in the single “The Only One,” with its upbeat and old school Cure sound evocative of their album Wish. The word “love” is mentioned 23 times on this track, and it is by far the happiest song of the bunch.

Misses include the experimental “Switch,” for its robotic drum beats, and the questionable “The Real Snow White.” Smith’s voice just doesn’t seem to fit in with the song’s direction.

For a casual fan of the band, radio-friendly fare can be found in “The Reasons Why,” “Sleep When I’m Dead” and “The Hungry Ghost.”

“The Perfect Boy” plays as a quintessential Cure song,  as it is about a doomed love affair but features a catchy hook: “Oh girl, he’s not the one for sure/Oh girl, he’s not so wonderful/Oh girl, he’s not the one for sure/Oh girl, he’s not the perfect boy at all.”

Unlike previous albums, 4:13 Dream ends on a fast and energetic note. The result, however, remains the same: the dream ends in resignation and defeat.

With odds and unlucky numbers against them, The Cure, with the help of returning guitarist Porl Thompson, succeed in putting out an album the likes of which hasn’t been seen from them in years.

Three out of four stars

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...