Our opinion: Gay marriage? How about no marriage? Proposing a Third Way

The passage of Amendment 2 in the state of Florida affirms that marriage is one thing and one thing only. The union of a man and a woman – that’s it, ‘nuff said, no questions asked. But what does that mean to the gay community?

Well, as Proposition 8 passed in California, and Amendment 2 passed down here, men and women of the gay and lesbian community hung their heads and began to realize what was actually happening. The people of the United States have come down with a mighty wrath and made the denial of equal rights to a certain group of people a government policy. Wasn’t all this civil rights nonsense over in the ’60s?

The ensuing battle over the past two weeks has shown that both sides are strongly committed to what they believe in. We propose a Third Way. Government should get out of the business of participating in the religious construct that is marriage. If two people wish to enter into a contractual agreement to bind their property, insurance and hospital visitation rights (among other things), then they should have that right. If they wish to have that union blessed, then it’s their right to search for a religious organization to do so. And it’s the religious organization’s right to decline.

Speaking of religious organizations, the government should consider investigating the Mormon church and stripping their tax-exempt status. If the church has $22 million to pour into California’s “Yes on 2” movement and its First Presidency has the time to draft a statement urging its congregation to “do all they can” to support the proposition, it surely has the time to answer questions about how those actions don’t conflict with their 501(c)(3) status.

One final point: To anyone who wants to talk about gay couples defying the sanctity of marriage, 43 percent of first-married couples get divorced nowadays – that’s an embarrassment to a holy agreement. We’ll bet that the people taking to the streets just to say “I do” will probably hold out for the long run.

Editorial Board

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...