Our opinion: Gay marriage? How about no marriage? Proposing a Third Way

The passage of Amendment 2 in the state of Florida affirms that marriage is one thing and one thing only. The union of a man and a woman – that’s it, ‘nuff said, no questions asked. But what does that mean to the gay community?

Well, as Proposition 8 passed in California, and Amendment 2 passed down here, men and women of the gay and lesbian community hung their heads and began to realize what was actually happening. The people of the United States have come down with a mighty wrath and made the denial of equal rights to a certain group of people a government policy. Wasn’t all this civil rights nonsense over in the ’60s?

The ensuing battle over the past two weeks has shown that both sides are strongly committed to what they believe in. We propose a Third Way. Government should get out of the business of participating in the religious construct that is marriage. If two people wish to enter into a contractual agreement to bind their property, insurance and hospital visitation rights (among other things), then they should have that right. If they wish to have that union blessed, then it’s their right to search for a religious organization to do so. And it’s the religious organization’s right to decline.

Speaking of religious organizations, the government should consider investigating the Mormon church and stripping their tax-exempt status. If the church has $22 million to pour into California’s “Yes on 2” movement and its First Presidency has the time to draft a statement urging its congregation to “do all they can” to support the proposition, it surely has the time to answer questions about how those actions don’t conflict with their 501(c)(3) status.

One final point: To anyone who wants to talk about gay couples defying the sanctity of marriage, 43 percent of first-married couples get divorced nowadays – that’s an embarrassment to a holy agreement. We’ll bet that the people taking to the streets just to say “I do” will probably hold out for the long run.

Editorial Board

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Our opinion: Gay marriage? How about no marriage? Proposing a Third Way”

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...