Football

Canes smother Hokies, win 16-14

SMOTHERED: Miami's defense swarms Virginia Tech tight end Greg Boone. The Hokies couldn't get beyond the 18-yard line in the third quarter Thursday night. STEVE ROOT // Hurricane Staff 

Miami’s defense stepped up to the occation Thursday night, stifling the Virginia Tech Hokies en route to a 16-14 win.

While the overall difference in yardage was only three yards over the course of the game, the course of the game changed in the third quarter. Miami’s (7-3, 4-2) offense ran 20 plays from scrimmage, while Virginia Tech (6-4, 3-3) ran only six, and advanced no farther than their own 18-yard line.

Running back Javarris James scored the lone touchdown for Miami in the first quarter, as Matt Bosher connected on three more field goals, giving Miami the scoring they need.

Miami now sits attop the ACC Coastal division, at least until Saturday, when North Carolina plays Maryland. If UNC were to lose, Miami would remain the leader, and the favorite to represent the Coastal division at the ACC Championship.

Miami’s next game is this Thursday in Atlanta against Georgia Tech at 7:30 p.m. The game will again be broadcast on ESPN, where Miami hopes to improve to 14-1 all-time on ESPN Thursday Night Football.

Matthew Bunch

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...