Letters to the Editor

Response to ‘Kind Care Package’

Dear Mr. Joshua W. Newman,

I am appalled and extremely disappointed with your article “Overreacting to a Kind Care Package” that ran in the Opinion Section of The Miami Hurricane on Oct. 30, 2008. Your poor attempt at sarcasm was not only misleading, but also insulting and immature. As a member of the editorial staff, you have significant power and responsibility and, as Opinion Editor, you should have more knowledge than the average, non-Communications student contributor. You are held to a higher standard and your work should be better than this.

This article is borderline defamatory. It is a pathetic excuse for satire that, unfortunately, could be misinterpreted as an actual theory for what happened outside the Hillel building on Oct. 26. The libelous implications made are unforgivable and illustrate the effects of ignorance in journalistic ethics.

If your argument had simply been that the actions taken were overly cautious and irrational, even phobic, then that’s what you should have said. By launching a personal attack on a specific individual, however, your opinion just becomes a hyperbolic fictionalization written in bad taste.

Your hypothetical drug addict is a real person in a student leadership position. I believe he acted responsibly, choosing to behave on the side of caution. He placed the call in order to protect us, the students of this university. Had this situation occurred elsewhere, say, in an international airport, calling the police and bomb squad would have been expected – in fact, required. My biggest fear is that because of your condescending response to such a serious situation, other individuals will feel awkward or reluctant to call the police should similar circumstances ever occur.

When such poorly written articles fill the pages of our student newspaper, I feel embarrassed to say that I am a senior contributor to the Miami Hurricane. Publishing a story laden with precarious legal implications that is, more importantly, just abysmal content looks terrible for the university. I hope that future articles will be written with more intelligence, research, and finesse.

-Hilary Saunders
Junior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Response to ‘Kind Care Package’”

1. Newman's a D-Bag says:

Wow! This is the first I’m hearing of this. But it is quite obvious from reading all the related articles that Josh Newman is a complete douchebag. But I’m sure he already knew that.

2. Nayda V-T says:

Ohhhhh Joshua…

glad to see you are carrying on the tradition of pissing readers off.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...