Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Virginia Tech

Quarterbacks: Both teams have used two quarterbacks heavily. Miami’s tandem of Jacory Harris and Robert Marve has been far more effective, as each has looked good in spurts. The end result has been Miami usually having a hot hand to turn to when needed. Virginia Tech, on the other hand, has been an example of the old idiom: “When you have two quarterbacks, you really have none.” Tyrod Taylor is dangerous on his feet but has been injury-plagued. Sean Glennon is a statue in the pocket. Together, they have combined to throw only three touchdowns against six interceptions. EDGE: Miami

Running Backs: Graig Cooper is coming off a big game for the Canes, and Javarris James should be ready to go after having a brilliant first half against Virginia, during which he left the game injured. For Virginia Tech, Darren Evans just ran roughshod over the Maryland Terrapins to the tune of 253 yards and a score. Miami will have to stop him in order to put pressure on the quarterbacks. EDGE: Even

Receivers: Miami’s freshmen have been outstanding as of late, cutting down on drops and seemingly becoming threats on the go. Even upperclassmen Sam Shields and Kayne Farquharson are getting in on the act again, making this unit very formidable. Virginia Tech’s passing game has not been good, and their two leading receivers, Jarret Boykin and Danny Coale, have zero touchdowns. EDGE: Miami

Offensive Line: Both run games have been impressive, and Miami did it against UVA with a patchwork group. Virginia Tech’s passing game has been bad, while Miami’s has at least shown flashes of dominance. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: Miami’s has been solid but not spectacular. Allen Bailey and Marcus Forston show signs of coming on late, but Virginia Tech always gets production from their group and will be bringing the pressure under the lights. Tech is lead by Orion Martin, who enters the game with 6.5 sacks on the year. EDGE: Even

Linebackers: Miami’s group has been solid all year. Romeo Davis and Sean Spence have been the standouts of late, and Glenn Cook continues his leadership role. Virginia Tech’s trio of Cody Grimm (5 sacks), Brett Warren (63 tackles) and Purnell Sturdivant (64 tackles) will be steady as always for the Hokies. EDGE: Even

Secondary: The Hokies are lead by star Victor “Macho” Harris, who already has 4 interceptions and will take away half the field. Miami’s unit continues to experience growing pains but has been untested as of late; they may face little challenge from this passing game. EDGE: Virginia Tech

Special Teams: In years past, this has summed up Tech’s Beamer Ball. However, this year they have not covered well (3 punt return touchdowns surrendered) and have not punted well (113th nationally). Miami’s Matt Bosher has been great, and the return duo of Travis Benjamin and Thearon Collier is a big play waiting to happen. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...