Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Virginia Tech

Quarterbacks: Both teams have used two quarterbacks heavily. Miami’s tandem of Jacory Harris and Robert Marve has been far more effective, as each has looked good in spurts. The end result has been Miami usually having a hot hand to turn to when needed. Virginia Tech, on the other hand, has been an example of the old idiom: “When you have two quarterbacks, you really have none.” Tyrod Taylor is dangerous on his feet but has been injury-plagued. Sean Glennon is a statue in the pocket. Together, they have combined to throw only three touchdowns against six interceptions. EDGE: Miami

Running Backs: Graig Cooper is coming off a big game for the Canes, and Javarris James should be ready to go after having a brilliant first half against Virginia, during which he left the game injured. For Virginia Tech, Darren Evans just ran roughshod over the Maryland Terrapins to the tune of 253 yards and a score. Miami will have to stop him in order to put pressure on the quarterbacks. EDGE: Even

Receivers: Miami’s freshmen have been outstanding as of late, cutting down on drops and seemingly becoming threats on the go. Even upperclassmen Sam Shields and Kayne Farquharson are getting in on the act again, making this unit very formidable. Virginia Tech’s passing game has not been good, and their two leading receivers, Jarret Boykin and Danny Coale, have zero touchdowns. EDGE: Miami

Offensive Line: Both run games have been impressive, and Miami did it against UVA with a patchwork group. Virginia Tech’s passing game has been bad, while Miami’s has at least shown flashes of dominance. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: Miami’s has been solid but not spectacular. Allen Bailey and Marcus Forston show signs of coming on late, but Virginia Tech always gets production from their group and will be bringing the pressure under the lights. Tech is lead by Orion Martin, who enters the game with 6.5 sacks on the year. EDGE: Even

Linebackers: Miami’s group has been solid all year. Romeo Davis and Sean Spence have been the standouts of late, and Glenn Cook continues his leadership role. Virginia Tech’s trio of Cody Grimm (5 sacks), Brett Warren (63 tackles) and Purnell Sturdivant (64 tackles) will be steady as always for the Hokies. EDGE: Even

Secondary: The Hokies are lead by star Victor “Macho” Harris, who already has 4 interceptions and will take away half the field. Miami’s unit continues to experience growing pains but has been untested as of late; they may face little challenge from this passing game. EDGE: Virginia Tech

Special Teams: In years past, this has summed up Tech’s Beamer Ball. However, this year they have not covered well (3 punt return touchdowns surrendered) and have not punted well (113th nationally). Miami’s Matt Bosher has been great, and the return duo of Travis Benjamin and Thearon Collier is a big play waiting to happen. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...